You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

overlay erase does not work on gradient overlay

• Staff

Hi @joco,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is by design. The Gradient Overlay tool is editable (it let's you readjust the gradient anytime if needed) and as such cannot be erased destructively. For more complex masking switch/move to Photo Persona where you have more tools/flexibility to mask whatever you need.

Hi @MEB

Thanks for your reply. That's a pity as I think it would be useful to take out a portion of this when editing the RAW. e.g. say you had a gradient overlay on the sky but there is an element of the foreground crossing into the sky - it would be useful to erase that portion of the gradient overlay. It's definitely more advantageous to be able to edit the RAW in many circumstances.

• 3 months later...
On 10/29/2020 at 6:19 AM, MEB said:

Hi @joco,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
This is by design. The Gradient Overlay tool is editable (it let's you readjust the gradient anytime if needed) and as such cannot be erased destructively. For more complex masking switch/move to Photo Persona where you have more tools/flexibility to mask whatever you need.

@MEB

I have seen many artists use this feature extensively in lightroom / camera raw.

For most of the edits we try to start and finish images right from one place ex: Affinity Development persona, Lightroom/Camera Raw. 

Think of this case, we add a linear overlay for background to darken it. In most cases, that overlay will fall on subject as well. So just to erase that part on subject, do  you want us to switch personas and coming back. This is very inefficient way to edit images. It breaks the artistic flow of editing images.

Lightroom/camera raw editor has this feature that allows user to delete part of the gradient overlays.

This is why lightroom / camera raw editor is successful. We wish to have this feature badly in affinity develop persona.

Please check out this video of an artist elegantly editing an image where she is extensively using overlay erase options.

• Staff

Hi @Omprakash Selvaraj,
Thanks for your feedback. I understand the need for more control here however the Gradient Overlay Tool wasn't originally coded with such flexibility in mind. Feel free to create a new thread/feature request (if there isn't one already) in the Feature Requests & Suggestions section (in the appropriate area/app). I will pass your feedback internally to the dev team as well.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.