• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Available

---

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.822 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

New Features

Product registration and store content streaming

We have now added the ability to link your Affinity app to your Affinity account through a new app registration process. This will have the advantages of you being able to stream any content you have purchased or received for free from the Affinity store directly to all your apps without having to manually install them. This is of particular use to customers who have more than one of our apps, or run our apps on different devices and operating systems as all your content will automatically be available across all of them.

If you register the beta app you will initially receive a free brush kit (the luminance brush kit) for testing purposes. We appreciate it is of little use if you only use Publisher. In a couple of weeks however this will be expanded to include all of the store content you may already own.

While this is the full scope of what we are implementing for 1.9, the link between your account and your apps will open up the possibility for us to offer other features and services in the future which we think you will like.

Improvements and Fixes

Document Loading / Saving / Import / Export
Fixed crash when loading document with missing resources
Fixed issue saving files opened via Package
Added import of SVG files from IDML
Added importing arrow heads from IDML
Margin and bleed guide colours imported from IDML
PDF Export panel truncated 'Advanced Features' check box

PDF Place
Raster previews are now generated for PDFs placed for passthrough
PageBoxes were flipped for placed PDFs
Changed default Passthrough Preflight Compatibility to worst case (PDF/X1-a)
Updated Passthrough Preflight Checks

Data Merge
Renamed 'Data Merge Node' to 'Data Merge Layout'
When you add a Data Source it now prompts for a file immediately
Changed the preview default to 'Off'
Added 'Show Data Merge file in Finder / Explorer'
Progress reporting improved
Record Advance default was stuck on '2'
Add colon to Data Merge delimiters
Fix for Data Merge failure when data source file is moved
Fixed Data Merge crash with certain Excel file. Dates were not importing correctly from xlsx.
Disabled 'Generate' when there are no Data Merge sources
Fixed Revert to Defaults for Data Merge Layout
Data Merge Layout options could be shown when not applicable
Fixes for Data Merge field expansion
Fix for text size issues with Data Merge

Text
Wrap shapes from Shaped Frames could be confused with user created ones
Expand fields doesn't expand fields in overflow
Made Increase / Decrease Leading Precise more precise

Bookmarks and Anchors
Renaming anchors to pre-existing anchor names was merging anchors
TOC Anchors were not being deleted when the TOC was deleted
Anchors on Picture Frames weren't showing in Context Menu

---

Release Notes for 1.9.0.801

Release Notes for 1.9.0.796

Release Notes for 1.9.0.742

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

Studio Presets have been absent in Publisher (On MacOSX) for the last couple of betas. Is it intentional or is it only on my computer?

I also noticed that if I Clear User Data (first 4 options) I have to go through the Registration Process again. Is that necessary?

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

• Staff
25 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Studio Presets have been absent in Publisher (On MacOSX) for the last couple of betas. Is it intentional or is it only on my computer?

I also noticed that if I Clear User Data (first 4 options) I have to go through the Registration Process again. Is that necessary?

Studio Presets are coming soon I believe.

I've passed on your feedback about clearing the User Data.

Thanks, I am also very happy with this version, PDF Pass Through is very nice.

Thanks for fixing the Data merge crash for Excel, well it is sort of fixed 😀, it isn't crashing but it isn't seeing the Month names, just the month numbers (sort of) but I can work with that for now. Screenshot attached of how the dates are showing in the Fields Panel, the text on the left is how the file is displaying the months, the middle is how Publisher is interpreting them

image.png.2e0bd3a1ad22bcf51b78eb70535a4866.png

This is very weird. Previously, I was testing version 1.9.0.801, which launched normally. But as soon as I downloaded the 822 zip, unzipped the new beta & placed it in my Applications folder (replacing the 801 version), it will not launch -- I get one or two hops in the Dock, as if it is trying to start up, but then nothing -- it does not open.

Restoring the 801 version from a Time Machine backup worked -- it launched normally. I then got the update available notice but after I clicked the "Install Update" button, once version 822 had been installed, it failed to launch, exactly as above -- one or two hops on the Dock & then nothing.

I am now again running the restored Time Machine backup of version 801. Anybody have any idea what is causing this?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Anybody have any idea what is causing this?

Not really, but did you try to reset Publisher by holding down Control key?

I remember I had a similar problem with second 1.9 beta and the reset worked for me then.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

37 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Not really, but did you try to reset Publisher by holding down Control key?

I remember I had a similar problem with second 1.9 beta and the reset worked for me then.

I tried the control key reset with just the 3 defaults, but that did not help -- I could get that far no problem but then the 822 beta still would not start up afterwards.

I guess I could try again with all the default resets enabled, but it becomes tiresome having to revert to the 801 version & reset everything to my preferred layout if/when that doesn't work.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

34 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I guess I could try again with all the default resets enabled, but it becomes tiresome having to revert to the 801 version & reset everything to my preferred layout if/when that doesn't work.

I think I reset all options there. But I also understand how frustrating it is to reselect all your preferences again.

20 minutes ago, Seneca said:

But I also understand how frustrating it is to reselect all your preferences again.

Particularly since resetting everything did not help! I am once again back to the 801 version via a Time Machine backup so I can at least launch the beta, but I can't figure out how to restore all the user settings for that version from any of my TM backups. Grrr!

Affinity Photo 

On 10/28/2020 at 11:47 AM, R C-R said:

I reset everything but it did not help. However, I have since discovered that for me what is happening is the 822 beta crashes immediately on launch. For some reason I do not see any 'quit unexpectedly' notices (so I have no way of knowing if the reports are being sent to Apple & to Serif), but Console.app > Crash Reports shows a bunch of them, all for Affinity Publisher Beta Version: 1.9.0 (1.9.0.822).

I do not know if @AdamW or any other Serif employee would be interested in checking out any of these crash reports or the best way to post them (I am slightly worried that crash reports might include some info that should not be made public), but I would really really like to get this resolved somehow.

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, Jon P said:

@R C-R Can you upload the reports here please?

Done! I uploaded all 31 crash reports for this beta -- probably a lot more than you need but I was not sure which one(s) might be the most useful.

If you need something else, please let me know.

Affinity Photo 

• Staff

@R C-R Can you navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/ and zip up the Affinity Publisher Beta folder and send it to the above link?

Once you've done that can you try renaming it and then running the app up and seeing if that helps?

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

5 hours ago, Jon P said:

@R C-R Can you navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/ and zip up the Affinity Publisher Beta folder and send it to the above link?

Once you've done that can you try renaming it and then running the app up and seeing if that helps?

Just uploaded the zipped up folder to your Dropbox.

After renaming the folder the new 822 version now launches without crashing! Yay! 😀

EDIT: Any idea what in my ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher Beta folder was causing the crashes? I noticed before I trashed the renamed folder that there were two extra files in it, apparently backups of the raster brushes propcol file. I do not know if I made them myself by accident, but maybe they were involved.

Affinity Photo 

On 10/27/2020 at 8:39 AM, AdamW said:

Product registration and store content streaming

We have now added the ability to link your Affinity app to your Affinity account through a new app registration process. This will have the advantages of you being able to stream any content you have purchased or received for free from the Affinity store directly to all your apps without having to manually install them. This is of particular use to customers who have more than one of our apps, or run our apps on different devices and operating systems as all your content will automatically be available across all of them.

FYI, the account page doesn't understand that macOS 10.16 is actually macOS 11.

Screen Shot 2020-11-01 at 12.34.10 PM.png

• Staff
33 minutes ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

FYI, the account page doesn't understand that macOS 10.16 is actually macOS 11.

Google it,

Existing Mac systems will temporarily report the value as 10.16

the macos has a split personality and will give a different answer once released. To our app the OS has called itself 10.16 Publisher has done no interpreting to display this, and BigSur has not been released... I think it is replying 10.16 to avoid existing already released apps stopping working on the beta and give devs time to release updates that recognise 11.0 as valid

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

After renaming the folder the new 822 version now launches without crashing! Yay! 😀

Good to know! We are looking into it but a guess is a corrupt propcol file, not sure how it may have happened, I'll let you know if we get any useful info :).

A CTRL run up should have fixed this for you as far as i know though, did you CTRL run up and tick all boxes before trying to delete the folder?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

8 hours ago, Jon P said:

A CTRL run up should have fixed this for you as far as i know though, did you CTRL run up and tick all boxes before trying to delete the folder?

I did try that, ticking all the boxes, but it did not fix it. Only renaming the ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher Beta folder so a brand new one was created on first launch stopped the crashes.

Affinity Photo 

22 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

Google it,

the macos has a split personality and will give a different answer once released. To our app the OS has called itself 10.16 Publisher has done no interpreting to display this, and BigSur has not been released... I think it is replying 10.16 to avoid existing already released apps stopping working on the beta and give devs time to release updates that recognise 11.0 as valid

I'm aware of that. I am running 11.0.1 beta so that means the public of release of Big Sur is going to still say 10.16.