You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance issue high res files

Sky replacement of a 360º spheric panorama, 27294 x 13647, jpg exported by PTGui Pro. Sky from HDRIheaven, 16k, 32 bit/HDR, opended separately, tweaked in Develop Persona, layer copy & pasted to jpg already opened file.

Compositing itself is RGBA/8 bit Adobe RGB (1998). That corresponds to the LCD of MBP16.

Step - by - step:

Select: Layer / Live Projection / Equirectanguar Projection

Turn to seam (congruent to sun)

Zoom out as far as possible.

Create new layer.

Fix seam with Healing Brush Tool, «Layer and below» selected

Using healing brush end up in infinite waiting times. Healing on separate layers, tool set to Current Layer & Below. Brush size is 1482. 100% opacity, 100% flow, hardness 25%.

The saved .afphoto is only 1.54 GB, I have other files up to 8 GB but not that dimensions, more normal ones like 6000x4000 or ± 8000x6000 and I do not face that issue.

This has been only 1 stroke with the healing brush, waiting about 10 minutes to be able to save for the first time:

2020-10-27_12-06-58.png.3f347cf09b120bc8f539d242a3cbd361.png

Saving & Closing Affinity Photo ended in:
2020-10-27_12-12-21.png.d3222a46f965c71123744d88893257a1.png

The Mac is quite beefy:
2020-10-27_12-26-42.png.6476ea8683f69e36207fe7f4a079b67e.png

I can send you the files for analysis but I assume that exceeds the upload space available in the forum. You may send me of course an sFTP access or so.

Cheers,
Roland

Edited by Roland Rick
Added step by step description

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

@Chris B - upload right now finished - Greetings

PS: Added in original topic step by step description.

Edited by Roland Rick
Added step by step description in opening topic

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

• Staff

Hey Roland,

Thanks for the files.

First of all, I have to admit that when I opened the image, my mouth dropped and was swiftly followed by a 'wow!'

So I had a go on my Windows machine and I was seeing delays of about 10 to 15 seconds with the Healing Brush on all layers.

I'm just waiting for my Mac to do an update and I'll check it on there as this is what you're using! 

• Staff

I've just tested this extensively on my iMac.

I also asked a colleague to test it on their newer iMac. We are not seeing such delays here.

Your Macbook outperforms both our machines on paper. Are you using Metal in the Performance tab in Preferences?

4 hours ago, Chris B said:

I've just tested this extensively on my iMac.

I also asked a colleague to test it on their newer iMac. We are not seeing such delays here.

Your Macbook outperforms both our machines on paper. Are you using Metal in the Performance tab in Preferences?

@Chris B This are the settings never changed something here, 100% sure: Metal has been greyed. It is only selectable if checkbox "Enable Metal compute acceleration" becomes unchecked. The RAM usage limit is "ALL" - but that's somehow the default, it's the first time I clicked into this part of the preferences:

2020-10-28_18-25-50.png.24defacdd6fa2fe6062ea89d5ee11177.png

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography

• 2 weeks later...

@Chris B I followed your suggestion now better, but can't for sure commit if it has been the source of the problem. I hat a total crash of my Macintosh HD and had to rebuild the Mac, then do a restore from a TimeMachine backup (lucky me I do this very carefully and restoring from TimeMachine works amazingly good). Honestly the computer feels now generally performing better. To me, it looks like the default installation of Apple was buggy. Lesson learned: next time after unboxing first do the default setup, register the Mac with my AppleID, then wipe the system and do a clean install from the scratch.

FYC: this hardware can no longer be installed by HFS+ (I thing it's the T2 chip denying it), you must use APFS.

2020-11-07_07-34-10.png.c872e79a999e50308b523a537e81c1f1.png

PS: it's not possible to remove a erroneously uploaded media of the media list. Please fix that, thanks, couldn't delete the image below from post:

2020-11-07_07-34-10.png

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography