You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.1)

PDF export has issues. Below is a comparison of the same SVG exported from iDraw and the new beta.

attachicon.gifpdfexport.png

The app store version also suffers from jagged/stroked edges but it maintains transparency instead of the solid black background. I tried all formats of PDF and they were all the same. The black background is part of the image when opened with other apps.

AD also rasterises where iDraw exports vector. The beta doesnt give the option but the app store version exports nothing if rasterise is disabled.

Can you attach the original file so we can take a look? And which app are you using to look at the PDF?

You can control whether unsupported features get rasterised or ignored with File > Export > More > Rasterise > Nothing.

• Staff

One more li'll request: locking guides. That is all (well, almost). You make my life wondrous. :D

Improvements to guides are coming soon.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Can you attach the original file so we can take a look? And which app are you using to look at the PDF?

You can control whether unsupported features get rasterised or ignored with File > Export > More > Rasterise > Nothing.

The attached file exports to PDF fine with 1.3.5 but is completely black in the beta. The offending layer is named. It exports fine when that layer is deleted.

I think the jagged edges might have to do with not setting the fill colour to empty/transparent when a layer/shape/node has child objects. Its not happening in the attached. Ill look at it again in the morning to see if that is the cause.

I havent been able to work what causes AD to want to rasterise. Sometimes it will, sometimes it doesnt

test.afdesign

Just downloaded the Beta, looking forward to seeing the new bits, but it won't open on my system, it crashes when opening.

I'm on my Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro running Mac OS Lion (still not had time to update yet..)

I've attached the Crash report so you can see what's going on...

Affinity Beta 1-3-5-1 crash report.txt

• Staff

Just downloaded the Beta, looking forward to seeing the new bits, but it won't open on my system, it crashes when opening.

I'm on my Late 2011 17" MacBook Pro running Mac OS Lion (still not had time to update yet..)

I've attached the Crash report so you can see what's going on...

attachicon.gifAffinity Beta 1-3-5-1 crash report.txt

The crash reports looks like a corrupted download. Can you clear your browser cache and redownload the beta again to see if it works?

The attached file exports to PDF fine with 1.3.5 but is completely black in the beta. The offending layer is named. It exports fine when that layer is deleted.

I think the jagged edges might have to do with not setting the fill colour to empty/transparent when a layer/shape/node has child objects. Its not happening in the attached. Ill look at it again in the morning to see if that is the cause.

I havent been able to work what causes AD to want to rasterise. Sometimes it will, sometimes it doesnt

attachicon.giftest.afdesign

I have worked out where the rasterising comes from and hopefully you guys can come up with a solution.

When an effect is applied to a layer, the entire layer is rasterised instead of just the effects like most other apps. To make it more annoying, effects like inner glow/shadow have no effect unless the layer has a solid fill so you cant just duplicate the layer and apply the effects to the clone with a transparent fill. Worse again, if a blend mode is set on the clone so the original layer is visible along with the effects, the original layer is once again rasterised.

Looking forward to the day AD will be my only required vector app but for now I have to pass SVG between 4 of them. Still, beats paying rent to adobe

Okay the Lion issue is fixed for the next beta.

Good to hear it was a Lion issue, I didn't have a chance to re download it as I'm away from my office and haven't tried it on my other Mac Pro with Mavericks.

Look forward to the next Beta!  :)

This will be fixed in the next beta.

I think the jagged edges might have to do with not setting the fill colour to empty/transparent when a layer/shape/node has child objects.

That's right. For vector clipping the curve has to be a pure vector, without any colour of its own.

Thank you guys!

A cool thing to improve on the imports / exports would be to be able to keep the layers when exporting to .svg or .eps. It's such a headache to have to go back to AI to reorganize everything in layers again before delivering illustration files to clients or animators... :)

@rchrdnsh,

They are features in the Roadmap & will be in future updates at some time.

In the mean time, I am using the open source desktop publishing app called Scribus for these features.

I export the Affinity file as .eps for print & then import it into a new Scribus page.

I am also working on a way to convert the CMYK colours in the imported file to Pantone spot colours.

Paul.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.