You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.3.5.1)

• Staff

Purpose: Features / Improvements / Fixes 

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Please Note: This beta includes many changes which have never been beta-tested before. Being realistic, it is quite likely that you may encounter an occasional bug. We will do our utmost to fix anything that emerges as quickly as possible, but we just wanted you to understand that for production work we would recommend using the Mac App Store version until this beta has been validated for a few weeks. There are no translations included with this beta version, sorry - they will return next time...

There are far too many under-the-hood changes this time to list them all, but the highlights for this beta are:

- User-definable keyboard shortcuts (first phase - more to come...)

- New PDF export engine with ability to output PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3 and PDF/X-4

- Added Character and Paragraph panels - rather than these options being stuck in large modeless dialogs

- Boolean geometry operations fixed

- Many import and export improvements to PSD, PDF, EPS, SVG, etc.

- Attempt to import .AI legacy files

- New, searchable preferences panel with support for user-definable nudge distances

...and of course, the two changes I'm sure everyone will be most happy of all with: The beta now has its own icon and also has a sensible numbering scheme! :)

Thank you for the new Beta. 

I miss the User-definable keyboard shortcut for brush size bigger and smaller. This is a very important feature for the German keyboard.

It would be great if this setting option in the next beta would be doing.

Many thanks!

Newstone

Oooh thank you guys sooo much for the user defined shortcuts feature!

Finally I can set fill/stroke to »none« with the #-key on the german keyboard instead of ⌃+7!

How much I missed that one simple shortcut – you’ve made me very happy today haha.

That? Oh, yes, that’s just a tear of joy right there … :’D

Now onwards to try out the new shape features!

Have a nice evening!

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

BUG (?) : In Keyboard Shortcuts under Text, I noticed three commands mislabeled:

1. Show Character > None should read Capitalization > None
  2. Show Character > Small Caps should read Capitalization > Small Caps
  3. Show Character > All Caps should read Capitalization > All Caps

I would LOVE to have a Keyboard Shortcut under Miscellaneous for Default Fill and Stroke (or Foreground and Background) Colors, which would set the Stroke/Foreground to Black and the Fill/Background to White. Thanks for your consideration.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

BUG: Baselineshift behavior is swapped. Positive numbers should raise the line, not negative numbers, as is the current behavior.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

Thanks, Matt, great work …  :D

Oops, an attempt to open the font list on the (fabulous!) new character panel, while no document is open, results in crashing the app … do you need the report? 

• Staff

Thank you for the new Beta. 

I miss the User-definable keyboard shortcut for brush size bigger and smaller. This is a very important feature for the German keyboard.

It would be great if this setting option in the next beta would be doing.

Many thanks!

Newstone

This will be in. We didn't include it this time around because of a snag with some international keyboard so it isn't complete. I believe Alt+5 and Alt+6 ([ and ] respectively on the German keyboard) should now work where else in previous updates it just wouldn't work.

MattP,

I love the "call out" shape, is it new or was it there before and I just didn't see it? I also was wondering about the name? I normally say "word bubbles", "speech balloons" or something similar. I've never heard the term "call out". I'm not complaining of course, just curious as to where the name for the shape comes from. Anyways, great improvements, thanks for all the hard work that the Affinity team has done! I'm already looking forward to the next update.

Hokusai

I believe Alt+5 and Alt+6 ([ and ] respectively on the German keyboard) should now work where else in previous updates it just wouldn't work.

Yes it works, Andy … thank you so much!  :D

On my German keyboard this doesn't work at all, whereas the ctrl+alt+drag left or right still works as in the first MAS. Also where does one find these user definable shortcuts I can't find them anywhere?

I was just wondering why the text on the icon says "betaeta"?  ;)

I was never really bothered by the betas having the same icons as the MAS versions, but this thingy hanging on the icon...  :blink:  

May I suggest using grayscale versions of the icons for the betas?

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.