You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Adobe Photoshop 2021 beta.....bloody hell!!!

On 10/30/2020 at 12:08 PM, kaffeeundsalz said:

Thanks @awado, that was what I was thinking, too when I read the changelog for Photoshop 2021. Most of the new features don‘t seem to be targeted to Adobe‘s core audience. For example, who, among professionals, needs a dedicated sky replacement tool given that there are established techniques for this kind of work? And while the new algorithmic face manipulation effects sure are fun to play with, I agree that they need a lot of manual finishing work. Just look at what these tools do to people with glasses for example. And wouldn‘t professionals make sure that models get their face expressions right in the first place? And yes, at least some of the new features do seem like a confession that Serif got some things quite right that Adobe did not so far, like the new interactive shapes.

BTW, this is not supposed to be a Photoshop rant. I use Affinity Photo as well as Adobe Photoshop and both applications have their strengths. It’s just that I really wondered where the widespread acclaim for Photoshop‘s new 2021 features comes from since I wouldn‘t rate most of them a real productivity boost for professional work.

thank you for telling me.. I recently received some emails from Luminar advertising very similar things. As a long term photographer and small time designer I was appalled by these 'features'. Most photo websites are these days flooded with impossible skies, impossible skin etc. Not to speak of a macho idea of woman's bodies.
I still have CS5 which doesn't need upgrading or subscription. The only nuisance is it doesn't work so nicely with newer plugins, but still does Silverefex and exposure.

Have to say that between Affinity, Exposure which has involved into a proper editing tool and Fast Raw viewer to do the sorting I hardly use PS now.

I did once try to subscribe. it was 10$ and they did not inform the local taxes. But boy was I p..d off when they near on instantly wanted to download a huge upgrade. Well in CR 4 GB of internet is about 20 USD on top of the subscription and you couldn't opt to have only parts of it. So I unsubscribed very fast and then had 2 months struggle to get the money back.

Never, Ever again. and they can put their sky replacement together with Luminar back to some intoxicated dream, I can live without it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2020 at 11:22 AM, anita said:

thank you for telling me.. I recently received some emails from Luminar advertising very similar things. As a long term photographer and small time designer I was appalled by these 'features'. Most photo websites are these days flooded with impossible skies, impossible skin etc. Not to speak of a macho idea of woman's bodies.
I still have CS5 which doesn't need upgrading or subscription. The only nuisance is it doesn't work so nicely with newer plugins, but still does Silverefex and exposure.

Have to say that between Affinity, Exposure which has involved into a proper editing tool and Fast Raw viewer to do the sorting I hardly use PS now.

I did once try to subscribe. it was 10$ and they did not inform the local taxes. But boy was I p..d off when they near on instantly wanted to download a huge upgrade. Well in CR 4 GB of internet is about 20 USD on top of the subscription and you couldn't opt to have only parts of it. So I unsubscribed very fast and then had 2 months struggle to get the money back.

Never, Ever again. and they can put their sky replacement together with Luminar back to some intoxicated dream, I can live without it.

You mentioned Luminar anita, I am getting a refund for the Luminar 4.....omg that is the slowest bit of software I have ever used and I wouldn't recommend it to anybody

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/30/2020 at 5:56 AM, CLC said:

This is sadly not truth. Affinity isn't aimed to creative professionals, despite its aspiration. You sadly cannot rely on it, you have to constantly check every output multiple times, on each export, since there are weird glitches.

I never found Adobe products reliable.  They crashed all the time, and I lost data.  I once lost almost an entire project -- even though it had previously been backed up multiple times; when Illustrator crashed, it somehow lost all the backups, too, and I had to start over.  To some extent, that's just the nature of working with computers, and I would personally rather not pay not-small, and ever-increasing monthly fees for the same lack of reliability.

Also, there's "professional" and there's "professional." If your entire profession is "graphic artist," then you might get a good ROI out of a much (much!) pricier program with fuller features.  But plenty of us use software like this for professional purposes that comprise a part of our business, and don't find the difference in capabilities to be worth the vast difference in price.  Not every piece of software is going to be the right fit for every user, and that's okay.  But I've never been disappointed overall in the quality of a Serif product.

2 hours ago, a2jc4life said:

Not every piece of software is going to be the right fit for every user, and that's okay.

I come at this discussion from probably a different perspective than most. I had to stick with Adobe CS2 (a suite given to me by a grateful subscriber) for many years because Adobe's prices had become astronomical and their later subscription program an absurdity--at least for me. I am neither a rank amateur nor a professional, but an experienced writer who has published his own work (more often than not in PDF form) for better than thirty years. With the advent of such programs as PageMaker, and then the early InDesign, I launched into full-fledged page layout. Beyond that, all my work is offered free-of-charge at my web site as a Christian ministry, so to one day discover the Affinity programs--quality programs for a far more reasonable price--I was overjoyed. I am most grateful for their "price point" and their fine software.

Dave
coram Deo
dlampel.com