You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.820

Click here to download the latest beta

Purpose: New features, performance, fixes
Requirements: A valid product key (for Affinity Store purchases), or an installation of the full retail version from the Microsoft Store

As this is a beta it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing, including the total loss of any documents. We hope you enjoy the latest build, and as always, if you've got any problems, please don't hesitate to post a new thread in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Thanks once again for your continued feedback. 

If you have a general question about the software, please head over to the Questions Forum, or if you have any suggestions, please head over to the Feature Requests forum.

New Feature: Product registration and store content streaming

We have now added the ability to link your Affinity app to your Affinity account through a new app registration process. This will have the advantages of you being able to stream any content you have purchased or received for free from the Affinity store directly to all your apps without having to manually install them. This is of particular use to customers who have more than one of our apps, or run our apps on different devices and operating systems as all your content will automatically be available across all of them.

If you register the beta app you will initially receive a free brush kit (the luminance brush kit) for testing purposes. This might be a kit you already have, but if you don’t you will get it for free. In a couple of weeks this will be expanded to include all of the store content you may already own.

While this is the full scope of what we are implementing for 1.9, the link between your account and your apps will open up the possibility for us to offer other features and services in the future which we think you will like.

Update: Following user feedback we have changed Store content to be (optionally) retained after the user has signed-out

Changes

• Fixed middle mouse button failing to work after displaying the Registration page
  • Fixed noise rendering in linear fills

1.9.0.815 release notes

Hi Mark, It also seems that downloading Store content then signing out and resetting removes the store content from the application even though it says that the content will remain available in the app, seems to be that Clearing the user Data means the App is no longer registered:

Sign Out:
image.png.cbedc1d53d4017235381e753d1dcffff.png

Clear User Data:
image.png.68fd3eab048d2e235b332c38808d1c9c.png

On Restart:
image.png.e4de31f4a37cac32ef5af2c9fad706bf.png

On Restart after clearing the user data this is the message again asking to sign in even though Reset Brushes (don't know it it is significant) is not selected:

image.png.ca778dea104dc5dd6aad6f29b3c78fee.png

Regards Don

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

• Staff

Don, Thank you that CTRL+run up you describe is the designed behaviour. Resetting the app will clear the registration and remove the downloaded content. We thought that users would expect to be able to clear the registration easily like that, remember that brushes are not the only thing that will be downloadable from your store purchases

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Ok, thanks Patrick.

Both PC’s Win 11 x64 System with Intuos Pen & Touch 
PC1 ASUS ROG Strix - AMD Ryzen 9 6900X CPU @ 3.3GHz. 32GB RAM

- GPU 1: AMD Radeon integrated. GPU 2: NVIDIA RTX 3060, 6GB
PC2 HP Pavilion - 
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), 16GB RAM
 - GPU 1: Intel HD Graphics 630, GPU 2: NVIDIA GTX1050, 4GB

iPad (8th Gen) 2020

5 minutes ago, root said:

Dear developers, please check the Resize Canvas option. It crushes crashes the Photo and Designer as well.

Already reported, Cropping in APhoto also crashes the program

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to raise this, but I've just downloaded the latest version and when I hit "My Account" and try to register it I just get a popup saying "Please wait a moment", but then it just stays there and nothing else happens. (It was the same with the previous version.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Hi Guys, Same issue on both AD and Aph Beta 820 as PaulEC above. Both installed fine on my Backup PC, also Win 10 2009. Have uninstalled, reinstalled and repaired, to no avail...

Screenshot 2020-10-27 135910.png

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

1 hour ago, JokerMartini said:

Where is the Clear User Data dialog? I need to run that

Hold the Ctrl key while starting the application, and keep it held until the dialog shows up. (Note: on my system, the application icon shows up on the Windows taskbar, and I have to click on it before I get the dialog, and then release Ctrl.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

@PaulEC & @Dave Quail

We are adding better logging to try to query this sort of event. This is of course very helpful to know, so is there anything unusual you could tell us about your internet access (network, proxy firewall?)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

19 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

@PaulEC & @Dave Quail

We are adding better logging to try to query this sort of event. This is of course very helpful to know, so is there anything unusual you could tell us about your internet access (network, proxy firewall?)

Nothing unusual re internet access etc. I do have Norton 360 installed, but don't know if that could be relevant.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 minute ago, PaulEC said:

Nothing unusual re internet access. I do have Norton 360 installed, but don't know if that could be relevant.

It could be, depending on the firewall configuration, but the default settings haven't caused any problems for me with this beta function.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It could be, depending on the firewall configuration, but the default settings haven't caused any problems for me with this beta function.

I only mentioned Norton because I know anti-virus software can cause problems, but I haven't had a similar problem with anything else.

3 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

@PaulEC & @Dave Quail

@Patrick Connor @walt.farrellNothing unusual. No proxy, firewall setting identical to the PC which doesn't have the problem. DNS settings identical. Windows Defender settings the same on both. I am a MS insider so know where to poke around looking for differences. And no, the 2 PC's are not running Insider OS's, but the current Windows release: (Insider versions run on other hardware for obvious reasons)
Edition    Windows 10 Pro
Version    20H2
Installed on    ‎2020/10/‎25
OS build    19042.572
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0

Asus ROG Strix G17 Notebook:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H 3.80 GHz with Radeon Vega Graphics | 32GB DDR4 3200mHz RAM
Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB Gfx | 2x 2TB SSD NVMe PCIe M.2 3x4 | Windows 11 Version 22H2 Build 22623.870

Latest beta 1.9.0.820, after upgrading, when choosing Sign In Now... I get the horizontal Please Wait a Moment (with neon animated activity) for several seconds, then a crash to desktop (CTD).

Note that I haven't tried the 1.9.0.815 beta, so this is my first time trying this new login approach from within the app: I can't say if it would have also happened with the previous release.

I run BitDefender, but it doesn't report having blocked any network or suspicious activity. When I re-launch AP, I see in my Task Manager that a 'crash-handler' applet also runs (I don't know if it ran the first one or two times). Skipping logging in, everything seems like normal program operation, but if I choose "My Account", and I retry logging in, I get the exact same. Repeatedly. AP and the Crash-handler both terminate every time. The only thing for my system that's not completely up-to-date was the latest "2020-10 Cumulative Update preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 1909 x64". I just installed that, but must reboot and if it fixes it, I'll post that back here, but I doubt that's my solution.

Exciting to see the developments.

UPDATE: 2020-10-28

• Did the "2020-10 Cumulative Update preview for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 version 1909 x64" update - no resolution to issue.
  • Did the "Clear User Data Dialog" steps (leaving the top default selections checked), and also no impact to the subsequent CTD.
Edited by Wumpus
Updated after trying workarounds

On 10/27/2020 at 4:43 PM, klauspstein said:

YEs, immediate crash on cropping in Photo , also exported HDR JPGs seem to need far more space than before, i.e. 35 Mb instead of 12 , I will try to check if this was a single or general issue. 

The HDR-jpg size is equal in beta and current version, so I take that back.

• Staff
16 hours ago, Roberto Sdul said:

Hello Mark, 

In preferences, in the tools section,
when selecting the box to zoom with the mouse. It would be necessary to change that the image moves horizontally and does not magnify when pressing the Shift key and using the mouse wheel.

Best regards.

I think this should work too. I will pass this on. Thanks :)