You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi there,
i am facing a problem with the drop caps,
don´t know if i just didn´t get how they work or there is a bug or so.

I have a drop cap at the start of the text. But if i change the size of the textbox the drop cap changes in size.
The only solution i found was to ignore the baseline grid. Which i am certainly not a big fan of.

Am i missing something?

That doesn't happen for me.

Can you provide a .afpub document that demonstrates it? Perhaps there's some setting that's causing it that I haven't thought of.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Doesn't happen here on Mac OS 10.14.6 . Can't really say what could be causing it, some little local override somewhere.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

14 minutes ago, Gmit said:

yeah i just reduced my file down to that part.

It comes down to using percentage for leading you can change that to exact and see if that will work for you.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

It comes down to using percentage for leading you can change that to exact and see if that will work for you.

Ah yeah a good advice

I played around with the leading:
If i change it to 12.6 pt the problem is still there.
If i change it to 12.5 pt everything is fine.
If i then change the baseline-grid to 12.5 pt the issue comes back.

Interesting behaviour.

Yes, that's it. The relationship between Grid Spacing, and Font size. Font is 10.5 and grid spacing is 11. No problem.

huh? After fiddling with that, now ther isn't a problem. I don't get tthe samee effect. It's gone away. ???

So I turned on Use Baseline Grid in the text frame.  That's all. Now, it doesn't exhibit that behaviour

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

1 minute ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Yes, that's it. The relationship between Grid Spacing, and Font size. Font is 10.5 and grid spacing is 11. No problem.

huh? After fiddling with that, now ther isn't a problem. I don't get tthe samee effect. It's gone away. ???

So I turned on Use Baseline Grid in the text frame.  That's all. Now, it doesn't exhibit that behaviour

Grid spacing is 12.6 pt
Fontsize is 10.5 pt
So i don´t see a problem there?

If you want to use the baseline grid then have your paragraph leading less than the size of the baseline grid.

14 minutes ago, Gmit said:

If i then change the baseline-grid to 12.5 pt the issue comes back.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

If you want to use the baseline grid then have your paragraph leading less than the size of the baseline grid.

yeah that would be fix for now. But what happens with that edge case where leading and baseline grid are the same? Is that behaviour intentionally? I didn´t face any other problems so far with these settings. What do you think?

11 minutes ago, Gmit said:

What do you think?

I am old school, I have set type by hand using 1(or 2 or 3)  point lead strips to give me the spacing between lines. Then the blocks of type would have to be lined up in the frames and the paper lined up on the press... I do not miss those days. Then I got to use the paper from a Compugraphic filmset typesetter and visually line up the baselines across an entire page. I do not miss those days.

Now I use the Text Frame's Baseline and have the Paragraph style set to use the Baseline in that. I can have a heading free floating in the text frame by clearing the Use Baseline Grid checkbox for that Heading style and set the space after to a completely arbitrary value, and the bulk of the text is set to use the baseline grid. It all comes down to whether or not I want the text to line up to a rigid grid or be free floating with the leading I choose. 10 on 11.3 or 10 on 10.9 or whatever, choice of typeface makes a difference too. There are no hard and fast rules other than 'strive for legibility'.

In short if I want the text to be the same on all text frames I use the Text Frame's baseline grid and the Paragraph Style set to honour the baseline. I generally use a coarse setting for the spread's baseline and a finer setting for the Text Frame's baseline. If I have decided to use the baseline I set my Paragraph Style's leading to something smaller than the baseline leading and consider the Text Frame's baseline (or an integer multiple of it) to be the leading for any and all text in the Text Frame.

Play around with a couple of text frames and one paragraph style turning on the Baseline in the frames and changing them quite extremely.