You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AfPhoto(Mac): Dotted brush -how to create

I'm trying to re-create a brush similar to the attached pic.
It's a tube-like brush, with dots on it.
I've got the tube done, but I can't get the "dots" to paint along  the length of the tube.

I've tried them as "nozzle", as painted right on the tube, but nothing seems to work.
They end up at the end of the tube and not along the length.

Could anyone help me with this, please ?

Thanks in advance,

C.L.

DottedBrush.afphoto

• Staff

Hi catlover :)

Could you please export a copy of the brush that you've already created, so I can see the way you've made this 'tube shape' brush? I'll then try editing your brush so that it produces a similar effect as the image shown. Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for your files!

I've been able to produce a brush which paints with 'dots', however I'm struggling to get the dots to be coloured - as they're currently being erased from my stroke -

image.png

image.png

I'll bring this to the rest of the team, to see if they know of a way to complete this :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I've noticed that too. 

If you edit the brush by adding the dots as a sub-brush there is a choice within the "blend" option.
One of them is "erase". Might that have something to do with it ?

I do hope you'll be able to let me know where I went wrong, I just can't figure it out....

I couldn’t get the brush to work but I accidentally selected the pixel brush tool and somehow got this brush to work, maybe you can refine it to your needs, it has hue control.

Spotty brush.afbrushes

image.png.64d5c34459375ff0d92a7f3869e595a1.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Interesting...just had to have a go!:)

Coloured dots.zip

brush test@0.5x.jpg

bit of an experiment to see if can get it to work

So
1. Set the master (Parent brush to colour automatically in brush dynamics with hue | saturation | luminance values)
2. Also add the Scatter
3. Set the sub Brush to a low flow value  to get the halo
options
A. Add a grunge base texture for effect to the parent (does not work very well in the sub brush!)
B. Adjust nozzle type for the 'dots' ..can be whatever you like!

Avoid using a solid for the sub brush halo as tends to create a solid..opted for a dot texture brush with dots...you can also change this for effect to set it to erase

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

8 minutes ago, catlover said:

@Dan C ; @firstdefence ; @StuartRc  :

That's wonderful !

Thanks a million for all your trouble, guys :)

Please stay safe !!

Best, C.L.

No Problem ..it was fun!...need to add explanation though!:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2371
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0

2 minutes ago, catlover said:

@StuartRc  : Ok, what would you like to know ?

Sorry!O.o meant to say... that I should have explained the process a bit better instead of just adding the experimental brush set...I have completed that now! So you can experiment with the brushes...

OK,  I would love to know the process since I assume that's why I couldn't  get it right.

I've looked at the "edit brushes" tab of the various brushes and it looks to me as though
the thing hinges around the sub-brushes being just so. But I'm not sure I'm correct ..

Do you start out with a rectangle or a circle to make those sub-brushes
and if a rectangle, does the basic brush also need to be a rectangle ?

I won't be able to reply to this post immediately, but I'm back later this afternoon.

But If you could give me some insight into the process I'd be very greatful.

C.L.

That's Ok!

Yep sort of...
The issue with the sub brush hinges around its 'solidity'
A. I set the Flow to around 30% initially, to make it more transparent...but it didn't quite create the effect. You can do this simply by adding a 'round' brush to the list in the sub brush category.. and stacking it below anything else or set in 'drawing' dropdown to behind 
B. Set the size of the sub brush slightly larger as well and release the size from sync
C. Setting it to erase creates the weird effects in the fist few brushes!

D. Add a organic base texture to parent brush 'punches' through the sub brush to create the texture

I have added a small to set of nozzles and base textures to experiment with

Enjoy!:)

Nozzles

Nozzles.zip

Version 2
Added some extra tests
A. With leaves
B. with textured sub Brush
C. with size variations

Coloured dots V2.zip

50 minutes ago, catlover said:

@StuartRc  : Thank you so much Stuart , you've been extremely helpful.
With your explanation I think I've got the basics now, will keep on experimenting.

P.S. : Your latest set : awesome !

Cheers ! :)

C.L.

No Problem!. .always worth experimenting!:)