You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Export setting to preserve vector scalability (Greg)

Back to basics. Add my text to a JPG in Designer. Which export setting preserves vector scalability to the text for print on demand.

Does the photo have scalability as well as the text.

This question is my basic confusion with vector graphics. What happens when you add a raster image. Does the image convert to vector.

Great question for dummies. Cheers

@Gregory100

A rasterimage stays raster. It does not magically convert into a vector because you edited it in a vectorprogram.

A vector can be scaled indefinitely without loosing quality because nodes and paths are mathematical formulas.

A raster image can be downscaled with no problems and upscaled to a certain, limited degree, without loosing too much quality, but this is not recommended.

Mixing raster and vector is possible, but the rasterimage is the "weak link" in this combination and determines at what quality you can export (the original size of the rasterimage).

4 minutes ago, ESPR said:

A raster image can be downscaled with no problems

Well, almost no problems, but downscaling involves the discarding of excess pixels; the choice of which pixels to discard will affect the perceived quality of the result.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just now, Alfred said:

Well, almost no problems, but downscaling involves the discarding of excess pixels; the choice of which pixels to discard will affect the perceived quality of the result.

Sure, resizing a very detailed image, that is, say 1000x1000px, to a 10x10px size, will loose a lot of information.

I tried to make it simple ;)

1 minute ago, ESPR said:

Sure, resizing a very detailed image, that is, say 1000x1000px, to a 10x10px size, will loose a lot of information.

I tried to make it simple ;)

I wasn’t thinking in terms of such a dramatic reduction in pixel dimensions! All I actually meant is that different algorithms will choose to discard different pixels, with one method working better than another for a given image.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

I did some more research and read all the comments and basically the answer is to create the whole document from scratch in a vector program such as Designer. That would be the ideal situation.

Importing raster images (JPG) for example and laying vector graphics and text over the top will create image problems for the JPG but not the vector. Is that a correct assumption?

We are starting a print on demand website and I purchased Designer to get the highest quality vector graphics and text for print.

4 minutes ago, Gregory100 said:

Importing raster images (JPG) for example and laying vector graphics and text over the top will create image problems for the JPG but not the vector. Is that a correct assumption?

No Vector problems until you export as a raster format.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

22 minutes ago, Gregory100 said:

I did some more research and read all the comments and basically the answer is to create the whole document from scratch in a vector program such as Designer. That would be the ideal situation.

Not necessarily.

22 minutes ago, Gregory100 said:

Not if you export as png, because its a lossless format which wont add another layer of compression to the jpg.

I think what we really need here to give good advice, are real examples.

Btw, fonts are almost always vector. Even in a rasterprogram.

3 hours ago, Alfred said:

Simple discarding of pixels happens when downscaling by nearest neighbour resampling. Other resampling methods create entirely new values for the pixels of the result. Yes, there will be a loss of image information, anyway.

45 minutes ago, ESPR said:

OP calls his post "question for dummies" and you guys debate about the finer details of resampling.

I guess someone has deleted the debate and/or finer details. All I see is two or three sentences saying little more than there are different resampling methods.