You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes every time I try to save a document

I have recently started trialling Affinity Publisher, for use with a variety of newsletters.  Having played around with it for a while I have now started to design a master page and create assets.

This afternoon, when I re-opened my file and started making changes, I found that every time I save it Affinity crashes completely back to desktop.  I tried saving the file to a new document, Affinity crashed and will not open the new document.

I have no idea what the problem is with the file, it seemed perfectly okay before and I closed Publisher down before I shut down my machine.  I have attached the problem file to this message, hopefully somebody will be able to offer guidance.

I am running the latest version of Publisher on a WIndows 10 laptop.

Thanks

Ian

Quarterly Template v0.1.afpub

You messed up the first Page. Somehow you added an image and I don't know what all else into the master page on that page instead of adding things to the page itself. I cleared the Master from it and reapplied it. I also deleted an extraneous "Layer" from the Master Page and ungrouped the picture and applied the text wrap to the picture frame instead of the group.  Quarterly Template 00.afpub  Please do not use dot/period/stop s in your file names, it will cause problems at some point in time, use a dash, a space or an underscore.

I have selected the bad thing on the first page.

2005015326_ScreenShot2020-10-24at10_19_36AM.png.8eb4946d2883de317a2a086cfed128ff.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for taking a look. I will apply your changes to my file. 

Maybe I am misunderstanding the purpose of a master page. This one is for the front page of a newsletter. The page will always have that image on it, which is why i put it on the master. Are you not allowed to have images on a master page? 

I have had a couple of issues with extraneous frames appearing, which look a bit like text frames but don't appear in the layers and I can't find a way to delete. They just have x marks and don't respond like other frames. Any idea what they are and how I can deal with them? 

Thanks 

Ian 

Yes you can use Pictures on a master page. You some how had the image put into the applied masterpage (so it was on the page twice) and then it was turned off. The screenshot is from the Page, you can see the picture up higher in the layers panel.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 1 month later...
On 10/24/2020 at 6:33 PM, Old Bruce said:

You messed up the first Page. Somehow you added an image and I don't know what all else into the master page...

Ha! Interesting statement. Yes, the fault is on the designer using the software, which has a history of crashing on save if any little thing is "messed up". 

What a sad state of affairs to then have to send the file to someone to fix a problem that shouldn't happen in the first place... and still be blamed for it.