You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Painting: Brush Opacity/Accumulation buggy in beta

TheFlow

Hello there,

Photo Beta (1.9.0.815) and think I found something buggy. 

Simply put: Opacity on pen pressure seems to be nonexistent or malfunctioning in the current beta version, it kind of behaves like flow instead.

The stable version (right now I have 1.8.5.703) installed does it as I want, gives me a smooth, even transition between pressing lightly and pressing harder on the stylus. While the beta looks a bit as if it would only use the flow and not the accumulation of the brush. I exported the brush from my older version to the beta and so I am sure it is 100% the identical brush in both.

Settings are identical, Tablet on low precision, nothing changed in the Wacom drivers. Using the same settings. Hardware acceleration in beta on or off doesn't make a difference. Changing tablet modes doesn't make a difference either.

*Also, the UI is randomly unresponsive/frozen and can occasionally catch itself by alt+tab in and out of the program, but not always. I would guess you guys have already heard of that.

image.png.c4fee8e73b6d62056a5184961df37bc0.pngimage.png.83143482144b3bd442b019a0e51be2f8.pngimage.png.28a6fa71d3c05a3f3fa6da3ef9203065.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2021 at 11:23 AM, TheFlow said:

Hi @Gabe, do you guys still have this bug on your radar? Haven't seen a fix in the newer betas. That would be great, as a lot of painters and illustrators are looking into AP from what I can see on social media. Would be nice to see it working well in the final 1.9 release :)

I'm just seeing this post as I have the same issue and posted about it today. As a painter using this as a replacement for Photoshop this is such a huge thing for me. Glad to know they're working on it. Painting on pause for now :(

Yeah it is unfortunate. I still think they should get up and running with a small team of concept artists and illustrators while they're at it and talk general improvements. Brush engine is a masterpiece. The programs also get faster, slowly but surely. It's a strange thing, they almost can take PS out for painting, but just not yet.

@ the whole Serif team: guys, take a close look to www.artstation.com, there are literally thousands if not millions of people using PS for painting only.

I think the opacity bug will be fixed in the 2.0 betas.

I could roll it back to the previous version by uninstalling and installing the previous version again, but I had already opened the file of the illustration I'm working on right now with the new version, and now I can't open the file with the previous version. I really need to keep working on the painting and finish it. Please fix this bug ASAP! 😰 @Gabe

I'll also keep an eye on betas.

Update: Fortunately, I could recover a previous version of the file via Google Drive's version history, and now I can safely open the file. Thank goodness!

I had the workaround this time in my case, but I assume there could be other users who have problems like I did and don't have the means to get back the previous versions of their files, so I do recommend fixing this as soon as possible.

Edited by Numan

Yeah I ended up going back to 1.8 with a different workaround:

First I opened the files I wanted to work with in 1.9 and then saved as .psd. Once I reverted back to 1.8 I opened the .psd files in Affinity and then saved as .afphoto again. This was the only way I could continue working on my paintings with the original brush behavior.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

@Gabe I'm sorry for continuously asking you, but since our last talk in January, it still isn't fixed. I mean I haven't seen news on the painting tools in general, so maybe that is just a "stack" of development going on, one after the other and the developers didn't get to it yet. The performance upgrades in 1.10 are really nice so far.

I just hope you guys take the painting tools serious since there is a ton of concept artists and illustrators waiting to really have an alternative to PS.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Umiama said:

How's it going now? I've checked every update note since 1.9 and found no information about this.

Just tried the latest beta from yesterday, the bug still persists. I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer until they get to it.

• 1 year later...

Hello to all you guys and congratulations on the release of Affinity V2! Huge update and I waited for it.
Unfortunately, this problem is still the same. Can you tell us more about it @Gabe?
Is brush opacity on pen pressure intentionally left out?

This is a really important feature for painters. Thank you so much for looking into it.

This is how I would like it to look like(from another software, but was possible in Affinity Photo back in earlier versions):
image.png.fe00af2799c5b39d9943f06c74d33782.png

And this is what I get in Affinity Photo v2:
image.png.d67b058ce2574b02130e5353603839f4.png

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Pixel Brush Tool fails to output if using Accumulation or Flow Jitter when its not 100%" (REF: AFP-3919) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1736".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Pixel Brush Tool fails to output if using Accumulation or Flow Jitter when its not 100%" (REF: AFP-3919) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1742".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.