You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Inpainting brush tool missing

• Staff

Hi Lensman137,

Welcome to the Forums :)

The Inpainting Tool can be found on the fly out menu for the Healing Brush tool. If you hold left click on the Healing Brush it will bring up the fly out menu. I have included a screenshot of the tool you need to hold left click on to make it easier. I hope this helps :)

C

post-12469-0-45350900-1440746176_thumb.png

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

If your tools are in 1 row, the inpainting brush should be no.16 from the top.

It lives together with the blemish removal, inpainting brush, patch tool and so on. If you click the little triangel you will find it.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi Don.

After clicking Apply you will be taken to the Photo Persona and the panorama processed. You should see a dialog on top "Render Panorama" while this is happening. Wait a few seconds until the process completes and the panorama should appear with the missing parts filled.

I started again. 

I added the two images, and clicked stitch panorama. 

It did this, and a little thumbnail with the stitched image appeared. 

My only option at that point was OK, which I clicked. 

A full size image showed, with the inpainting tool at the top of the menu bar. (I had had that selected before starting the process)

I clicked apply, and nothing happened. The areas around the panorama were not inpainted. 

However the inpainting tool disappeared from above the image, and reappeared at the menu on the side. A range of other icons appeared at the top of the image. 

Did I miss some step, or do something else wrong?

Thanks very much for your help

Don

I started again. 

I added the two images, and clicked stitch panorama. 

It did this, and a little thumbnail with the stitched image appeared. 

My only option at that point was OK, which I clicked. 

A full size image showed, with the inpainting tool at the top of the menu bar. (I had had that selected before starting the process)

I clicked apply, and nothing happened. The areas around the panorama were not inpainted. 

However the inpainting tool disappeared from above the image, and reappeared at the menu on the side. A range of other icons appeared at the top of the image. 

Did I miss some step, or do something else wrong?

Thanks very much for your help

Don

I think you missed a step, Don, as in the tutorial James also clicked the Crop tool, and clicked the Inpainting tool before clicking Apply.

Cropping with that tool selected does the inpainting automatically. If you want you can select the Inpainting tool as you have done and then brush on the transparent regions to fill in, and just click Apply when you are happy with the panorama. As MEB said after you click Apply the panorama is rendered and you're taken from the Panorama persona to the Photo persona, which contains all the normal image editing tools you'd expect in a full app.

BTW, you don't have to inpaint, you can crop away the blank regions quickly by selecting the Crop tool and clicking Crop to opaque in the context toolbar.

HTH.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

Gday Dale

I watched that video again, and you are quite right. I'll try that out and see how I go. Thanks very much. 

I am also going to experiment with using the automatic inpaint for single photos that need infilling. I do a lot of warping and rotating of archaeological images, and wind up with a similar situation to the panorama situation, with bits and pieces not filled in around the outsides. 

I might save two versions, call them a.tiff and b.tiff, of exactly the same image, then try stitching the identical photos together, then use the automatic infill tool. If that works it would be a huge timesaver for me. 

Or maybe there is a more direct method?

Don

Great, it works. 

I don't even need two identical photos, I only need one.  

Just save as a tiff, then add the exact same file twice to the panorama dialog box. 

stitch, click on the inpaint tool, then apply, et voila! It is inpainted. Woohoo!

Can't get the cropping thing to work, but that doesn't matter. 

I am stoked. This will save me so much time stuffing around in photoshop. 

• Staff

Spoke too soon. Somebody got six fingers. 

Is there a way to tell the program which are the places to match up, as there are in other stitching programs? Sort of like little tags labelled from one to three (or four) on the overlap?

Or is there some other way of doing much the same thing?

Hi Don,

In Panorama Persona there's two tools that lets you adjust what elements from what images will be used to create the final composite: Add To Source Image Mask Tool and Erase From Source Image Mask Tool. There's a video tutorial covering Panoramas and those two tolls available here.

• 2 months later...

My healing brush tool (the band-aid icon thing) keeps disappearing from my toolbar.  I will try re-installing the program but why is the blemish/healing tool disappearing from the list?  This seems awfully complicated.  I was using it and then it disappeared.

By default, there are five tools accessed from the same icon "slot" in the tool pallet: Healing Brush, Patch, Blemish Removal, Inpainting Brush, & Red Eye Removal. This can be changed with the View > Customize Tools menu item, but assuming you have not done that, click & hold on whichever of the five is showing & a fly-out list of the other four will appear. Choose whichever one you want & it will stay visible in that icon "slot" until you select another of the five tools.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone 

I have some questions you might help me with ?!

I just bought Affinity photo from apple store, 

and I noticed some tools are are missing, 

like, Inpainting brush tools 

I have uploaded screenshots pictures so you can see 

Thank you 

post-27948-0-23255200-1456776356_thumb.png

post-27948-0-57788100-1456776360_thumb.png

post-27948-0-50343600-1456776392_thumb.png

Hi. You have Affinity Designer, not Photo.

If you contact Apple, you can get a refund and purchase Photo instead. 

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

• 1 year later...
On 8/28/2015 at 0:16 AM, Callum said:

Hi Lensman137,

Welcome to the Forums :)

The Inpainting Tool can be found on the fly out menu for the Healing Brush tool. If you hold left click on the Healing Brush it will bring up the fly out menu. I have included a screenshot of the tool you need to hold left click on to make it easier. I hope this helps :)

C

post-12469-0-45350900-1440746176_thumb.png

I tried this or rather would but unlike the op, mine complete tool bar is missing.  Meaning no healing brush, crop, brushes, nothing.  Even tried reset.   HAPPY THANKSGIVING!