You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

To All,

Are there any “Affinity Designer” (AD) users out there that have any experience with converting files created with the application “Canvas” and  importing them into AD.

I have a good friend in Australia (currently Perth) who is an architect and has been using Canvas for many many years to do renderings from home designs but has been stuck in OS X 10.6 for years because they stopped making Canvas available for the Mac after 10.6 and he does not want to lose all his efforts but now that I have been talking up AD he might just be ready to upgrade his Mac to 10.9 and AD.

He has sent me several files that he has exported from Canvas directly in “EPS” format and so far I have been able to open all of them. Some things come in oddly but I would say 98% of items seems to be usable exactly as AD reads them in including things like groups, etc.

Once he upgrades he will most likely lose the ability to use Canvas any longer so he wants to make extra sure he can export his files like into EPS and be able to read them all in in AD.

Thanks in advance for any help along this way.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

Maybe the devs can work on that last 2% if you share the specifics and sample files demonstrating any issues? Good to strive for perfection.

I expect one problem with the artwork originating in Australia is that it comes in upside down, I reckon that can be detected and fixed.

Twitter: @Writer_Dale
Affinity apps run on: Ryzen 5 3600, 32GB RAM, GTX1650 Super

MaxClass,

ACDSee are currently working on a new Canvas for OSX. A beta is expected by the end of this year, reöease is rumored for the first four month of 2015. Maybe you could ask him to hold out a little bit longer.

If he wants to apply to participate in the beta, he can just email the Canvas support team.

Dale,

Love the sense of humor. Now all I have to do is select the artwork and flip vertically to get it right side up.

Jens,

Thanks for the information on new developments with Canvas but I really think once my friend gets his hands of AD he will not want let go but I will pass that information along to him.

Just looked at their website and wow is that expensive. Lot more than I think he needs.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

To All,

Are there any “Affinity Designer” (AD) users out there that have any experience with converting files created with the application “Canvas” and  importing them into AD.

I have a good friend in Australia (currently Perth) who is an architect and has been using Canvas for many many years to do renderings from home designs but has been stuck in OS X 10.6 for years because they stopped making Canvas available for the Mac after 10.6 and he does not want to lose all his efforts but now that I have been talking up AD he might just be ready to upgrade his Mac to 10.9 and AD.

He has sent me several files that he has exported from Canvas directly in “EPS” format and so far I have been able to open all of them. Some things come in oddly but I would say 98% of items seems to be usable exactly as AD reads them in including things like groups, etc.

Once he upgrades he will most likely lose the ability to use Canvas any longer so he wants to make extra sure he can export his files like into EPS and be able to read them all in in AD.

Thanks in advance for any help along this way.

Max

Does Canvas export to PDF? If so, wouldn't this be a viable option over EPS?

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

Omegaman,

Thanks for offering suggestions for a fellow aussie.

Here’s the scoop on those two options. My friend just sent me a file as a PDF with four layers of drawing in it so yes it can export as PDF. It opens fine in AD and I can individually select any single layer.

Am currently testing to make sure that I can access all the objects within the file.

It appears that either EPS or PDF will still allow access to all the individual object but I will continue testing just to make sure which format is the best for exporting without any loss of data.

Are there any other previous Canvas users out there that might be able to provide input on this topic?

Max

Yes, Canvas IS expensive … it has a lot of almost-DTP features (I did design an entire magazine with it a couple of years earlier) and it comes with certain special and expensive geo caching or geo location features that are very important for cartography.

So it's worth it's money if you need the features.

Was worth it for me, but I let go of it in 2010, after using it for four years, when it became apparent that development had stopped  —  I'm glad to see that they are building a new OSX version, but I have moved on to better places. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I too am in the same boat.

Been using Canvas since ver7.

I have a lot tied up in this program.

I heard many rumors over the past year the Canvas was coming back to the Mac.

I am not holding out any hope for that.

I have tried using EPS and PDF to export to Affinity.

Not much luck with PDF.

EPS was much better, but not perfect.

Would be great if Affinity would handle Canvas files.

• Staff

If you have any examples of PDFs that don't work very well, I know we'd be interested to see them - we're constantly striving to improve so we'll be able to learn from them and, who knows, maybe the results would be much better in the future? :)