You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I edit psd text in affinity photo

Hallo,

if i open a psd, it is not possible to change the text. (it is possible to change size etc.) In the layer it says: .... (pixel). Do I have to import in a different way. (Checkbox "PSD Text editierbar schalten" (german) is activated)?

Thanks a lot for giving me a hint!

Jörg

• Staff

Hi Jörg,

Welcome to the forums.

If it's showing as Pixel on the layer our text tool won't be able to edit the text, if it was able it would show as Frame Text on the layer. Can you upload a copy of the file to here so I can take a look? (The file will be deleted once I have looked at it)

Thanks

• 11 months later...

Go to Affinity Designer Preferences, General section and check Import PSD text as text rather than bitmap.

Does this option involve a performance hit? Having it turned off by default makes it look as though AD cannot handle PSD text properly.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There's no performance hit, but we can't guarantee our text engine will flow the text the same as Adobe's. So it's a choice between it looking the same in Affinity as in Photoshop, or being able to edit the text. We picked the former as the default, mainly because if you then try to edit the text and find you can't, the issue is obvious (even if the solution isn't). Where-as if the text wraps wrong, you might not notice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I agree with the devlop. I had to look in the forum. This option should already be checked by default, or ask the user to choose at the time of opening the file. :)

You might consider posting this suggestion to the Feature Request Forum.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...

Hello, I am new to this software. I have been having the same issues editing text after it has been exported as PSD. I have not pressed any keys (shortcuts) and have not converted anything to curves or rasterized. Somehow, it is still not allowing me to edit text once I export the document. I am using the program on a Windows computer.

I have also changed the settings on imported files: Import PSD text as text rather than bitmap to no avail...

Please help :(

• 1 year later...
On 8/20/2018 at 10:50 AM, GDIAZ2791 said:

Hello, I am new to this software. I have been having the same issues editing text after it has been exported as PSD. I have not pressed any keys (shortcuts) and have not converted anything to curves or rasterized. Somehow, it is still not allowing me to edit text once I export the document. I am using the program on a Windows computer.

I have also changed the settings on imported files: Import PSD text as text rather than bitmap to no avail...

Please help :(

I'm not sure if you're saying that you cannot edit the text in a PSD that Affinity has exported, or if you're saying you cannot edit text in a PSD that Affinity has imported or opened.

Affinity rasterizes the text in PSD files that it exports, as it does not know how to make a PSD with editable text. Adobe has not documented that aspect of PSD files.

However, with that option enabled, you should be able to import or open a PSD and have the text editable.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 3 months later...

I am making the switch from Adobe over to Affinity Photo and have a lot of artwork, business card designs etc that were saved as [layered .pdfs] or [.psd] files in Photoshop. I've checked the box in the general preferences as suggested by others in this thread, however, I am still unable to open a .pdf or .psd in Affinity Photo and select the text and simply edit it. 

Am I missing something here or is this simply not possible? I could see this as a pretty major drawback for designers/professionals that have to import lots of art files created in Photoshop etc. Thanks in advance for any help you guys!

• Staff

Hi PoohBear24152,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Are you sure the text on the original psd/pdf files was not rasterised (turned into a bitmap) and is really editable? Do you mind attaching one of the psds you are having trouble with for us to check please? I can provide an upload link if you wish to keep the file private. Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2016 at 2:36 AM, Dave Harris said:

There's no performance hit, but we can't guarantee our text engine will flow the text the same as Adobe's. So it's a choice between it looking the same in Affinity as in Photoshop, or being able to edit the text. We picked the former as the default, mainly because if you then try to edit the text and find you can't, the issue is obvious (even if the solution isn't). Where-as if the text wraps wrong, you might not notice.

I am having a similar issue trying to use a PSD file which I downloaded from a commercial site.   I'll upload it to you if you wish.  I'm uploading a screenshot here.  I have set the "import as psd as text" checkbox in preferences.  I see layers but am unable to edit the text.  OSX Catalina, Designer 1.7.3, Photo 1.7.3, Publisher 1.7.31490787828_ScreenShot2019-12-16at4_46_48PM.thumb.png.8441d746d7cb9ce52741f90eb8635d02.png

12 minutes ago, Celestine said:

I am having a similar issue trying to use a PSD file which I downloaded from a commercial site.   I'll upload it to you if you wish.  I'm uploading a screenshot here.  I have set the "import as psd as text" checkbox in preferences.  I see layers but am unable to edit the text.

That is probably not a text layer in PhotoShop, but a smart object. Affinity does not support smart objects in PSD files, and they become rasterized.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, Celestine said:

Would you like to see the actual file to confirm that?

Not owning Photoshop I would not be able to verify it.

And as it was downloaded from a commercial site, unless it was a free download with terms that allow sharing you should not share it with users here on the forums. You could share it privately with Serif in that case, using a link they can provide.

But if it was free, you can share it here and someone will be able to verify it. Or you could provide a link to the file on the site you downloaded it from. That also would alleviate any considerations about sharing and possible violations of usage terms.

-- Walt
PC:

• Staff

Hi Celestine,
The layer in question is almost certainly a smart object as walt.farrel mentioned. "Your text here (double-click etc) ..." (the name of that layer ) is what's typically used to indicate the user what/where to edit to keep all the rest of the composition/effects intact. Currently Affinity rasterises all smart object on import so they are no longer editable (we don't support smart objects yet).

If you want i can still check the file for you anyway. Here's an upload link to send it to us.
Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Having that same problem with text edit also today. Did a search and found this thread. I could see that the smart object thing may be the problem. I open an older PSD file that I had for a client from a few years ago to edit some text. I was actually able to edit the text in all my layers in Affinity Photo. However, when I exported as a PSD file and also a PDF file and had to go back in to change something else, that is when I could no longer edit those layers.

Dumb me. I was not thinking and saved over the originals. So now I have to recreate alllllllll the text layers in 8 different files. Quite maddening since this software is what... 4 years old or more now. Its been serving me well but the is kind of a critical thing. 

Also, why do I have to register 2 times? An account to buy stuff and an account to post in the forums??? 

If you "save as" the file in the .afphoto file type it retains the layer as text. So its like you would save as PSD with p-shop to retain your layers. Im not that seasoned with this program yet but I just found this to work for me to retain the text layers for editing. I don't have p-shop anymore to test the psd file to make sure its still editable in there but I'm sure it is. Recently Adobe locked me out of my paid, legitimate licensed version of CS6. So I found my way here. Thanks for all the hard work Serif team. 

10 hours ago, Kevin Salisbury said:

Also, why do I have to register 2 times? An account to buy stuff and an account to post in the forums??? 

Not everyone who wants to post here also wants to buy anything from the Affinity store, or even if they do to use the same account info for both.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff

Hi Kevin Salisbury,
If you save your files/projects in our native format (.afphoto) everything remains editable. If you export to non-native formats (PSD, PDF etc) a few things may be rasterised on export depending if the format or us supports them or not. In the case of PSD we support importing text layers from PSD files as editable text as long as the respective preference is ticked in Affinity Photo Preferences, General section (Import PSD text as text rather than bitmap) but we do NOT support exporting text layers to PSD as editable text - currently all text layers are rasterised (turned into bitmap/images) when exporting to PSD. This is something we may improve in the future but due to the lack of documentation of the PSD format in this area it's something that's not easy to achieve.