You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm working in Affinity Designer and I'm having some trouble with snapping the edges of an artboard to objects, and I'm not sure that artboards are designed for what I need to do.

Below, I have a logo and shapes used for x-heights.

image.png.44db45d6bb206bb1070f812f9fd46b55.png

I can adjust the artboard, but I can't find a way for the artboard to snap to the objects inside of it so that I can have the artboard sized to exactly where I need.. Here are my snapping settings:

image.png.19f9d17df6a96e77e91eaab29ed9c456.png

Am I using artboards wrong, or is there a setting I'm not seeing? Thanks!

6 hours ago, Hunnicutt said:

I'm having some trouble with snapping the edges of an artboard to objects

Why would it be necessary to set the dimensions of artboards exactly to the boundaries of the object?

When exporting (Export Persona), the Slice is created exactly according to the dimensions of the exported object, and can be freely adjusted if necessary.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

7 hours ago, Hunnicutt said:

I can adjust the artboard, but I can't find a way for the artboard to snap to the objects inside of it so that I can have the artboard sized to exactly where I need.. Here are my snapping settings:

Am I using artboards wrong, or is there a setting I'm not seeing? Thanks!

You are doing nothing wrong. In current Affinity apps, an object cannot snap to its contained objects. This can be inconvenient at times, as you've discovered.

As has been mentioned above, you cannot snap an artboard to its contents.
However, you can use the Layers Panel to move the artboard’s contents to be ‘outside’ of the artboard, then snap the artboard to that which was previously inside it, and then move the previous contents back ‘inside’.
That sounds a bit weird so I’ve attached a short video showing the process.