You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Not able to move artistic text

Hello again gang
I clicked on the artistic text tool & pasted some text into it i had copied

Without the text highlighted my cursor is the usual white arrow & i can pick up the text and move it (as normal)   ...but when i let go it moves back to where it was before.

Also if i highlight the text & move my cursor inside it turns into a sharp black coloured angled arrowhead & i can't do anything with the text

Never happened before to me but it's happened 3 times today  ...so i just delete it and start again

Any ideas as to why?

Strange; I’ve never (as far as I remember) had a layer spring back to its previous location after I’ve dragged it.
If you could upload a full-screen video showing the problem it will probably be easier to diagnose.
(If you can also tell us where you are copying the text from – text file, PDF, etc. – that might give us more of an idea what’s happening.)

It's acting like it is pinned but does not appear to be showing the normal characteristics of a pinned object when you move it around.

We may need the document uploaded here or at least a document containing just that Artboard

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

43 minutes ago, Gigatronix Pete said:

I've no idea what i did but if you know perhaps you could explain

The ART text is inline text, similar to the pinning function in Publisher

If you copy an ART text frame then put the insertion point cursor in some Frame text and then paste the previously copied ART text you will get inline text

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

22 minutes ago, carl123 said:

If you copy an ART text frame then put the insertion point cursor in some Frame text and then paste the previously copied ART text you will get inline text

Thx for the recipe. Just for completeness: Is there any way in AD itself to move the artistic text out of the text frame without cutting and pasting it somewhere else?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Thx for the recipe. Just for completeness: Is there any way in AD itself to move the artistic text out of the text frame without cutting and pasting it somewhere else?

Can't see a simple way to do this in a "one step operation"

But if you duplicate the inline text layer the duplicate is outside the text frame, you can then just delete the original inline text layer.

Maybe, right-clicking an inline object and selecting Release may be enhancement that could be added (in all apps)

12 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Can't see a simple way to do this in a "one step operation"

Opening it in Publisher, if one clicks on the little icon in the Layers panel that has the "inline in text" tooltip, the Pinning studio panel will open, and one can "Unpin" it there.

This doesn't work in Designer, though.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1