You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preset JPEG Exports to 1400 x 1050 for Camera Club

Hello - new user!  I have looked on the forum and this has got me even more confused. To enter camera club competitions we have to submit images "Best JPEG" at 1400 x 1050 pixels and sRGB.

I have been using Lightroom and photoshop an the "export" facility here allows the export to be preset at a chosen value. On Affinity Photo the pixel values have to be set EACH TIME. Very tedious.

I have looked on the export persona to see if I can make a preset but it has left me totally confused. The first panel "export options" is OK but the others leave me totally perplexed and the FAQ / Help available is very poor - not developed at all. How do I use the  "Layers / Slices" panel. NO explanation that I can find!. How do I use the "Transform / History / Navigator panel? Again NO explanation that I can find. For the questions that have been answered on this topic the answers are gobbledegook to the new user. 

All I want to be able to do is say export 6 jpegs in the same pixel size without having to retype the pixel size in the export settings panel - doesn't seem too much to ask. Most photo editing software seems to mange this!!

Discontented Mel

I think the best way to do this is to make a preset of the size the camera club wants, 1400 x 1050 with sRGB for the colour and I guess 8 bits. Save it as Camera Club H and then make one called Camera Club V at 1050 x 1400 for the portrait versions.

I would then work on the files as per my wont and save it (*.afphoto or *.tiff or what ever) then when I want to submit it to a Camera Club I would File > Place... that photo into/onto my new preset adjusting the size so it all fits the way I want it to and then go to Document > Flatten so was to trim off the bits on the sides (That flatten thing isn't necessary actually) and just export a Best JPEG from the preset in Export persona, it is already the right size and colour format.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

@Old Bruce's method is probably the best way to do it but you can get a long way to your objective using a preset or two in the Export Persona as well. If your source images don't have the correct aspect ratio then you are going to have to set up your slices to define the crop you want then it's a single click to get the file output.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:51 PM, Old Bruce said:

I think the best way to do this is to make a preset of the size the camera club wants, 1400 x 1050 with sRGB for the colour and I guess 8 bits. Save it as Camera Club H and then make one called Camera Club V at 1050 x 1400 for the portrait versions.

I would then work on the files as per my wont and save it (*.afphoto or *.tiff or what ever) then when I want to submit it to a Camera Club I would File > Place... that photo into/onto my new preset adjusting the size so it all fits the way I want it to and then go to Document > Flatten so was to trim off the bits on the sides (That flatten thing isn't necessary actually) and just export a Best JPEG from the preset in Export persona, it is already the right size and colour format.

On 10/22/2020 at 9:51 PM, Old Bruce said:

This all sounds possible but it doesn't achieve the easy resize that I want for a batch of (say 6) edited .afphoto images that started off as RAW (.CR2) files. I can't put them back into Lightroom as the file type is incompatible. I don't generally work with tiff files. 

My current work flow is Camera > Lightroom 6 > Edit > Further edit in Photoshop CS6 > All files collected in Lightroom (edited CR2  or psd files) - batch export as JPEGs at 1400 x 1050 - or larger size if printing.

Not sure what my workflow would be around Affinity Photo (as a PS6 replacement) as no batch export / psd file compatability seems easily achieved as in Lightroom.

Edited by Mel_P