You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Windows Customer Beta - 1.9.0.815

16 minutes ago, Michail said:

I support this option as long as it remains an option.
The concern of some users is not about the present, but about the possible future. We all see the negative example of Adobe.

We're not Adobe 🙂

Honestly, this was designed as a something that we thought would be good (and helpful) for our users. If you don't like it, you don't have to use it, we're not forcing you to use it (and that's why it is optional).

Few "lets be real" type of things.
- What happens if internet drops? And what if  there will be no power? Will local power plant compensate you for your possible loses? Dont think so. If internet drops, people in your area will freak out and your ISP will fix it asap. Kids will not be able to play CoD, people post political nonsense on social media and watch Netflix... Internet will be back asap, dont worry.
- "freedom"... You are free not to push that button. And Affinity team is free to make that button.
- "privacy". I dont know why all people feel like celebrities now, but lets face it - your life is not as interesting and you are not as important as you think. Your internet browser, google, social media already collected all that you had to offer. Which usually is "food that you like", "places you go", "stuff you are interested in buying" and "people you know". Most of it you have shared willfully without even thinking about it, while sharing photos from that "great, family weekend!" or showing photo called "check out that pizza!".
Plus, when you are walking or driving or shopping - most likely you have multiple cameras recording what you do.
So yeah, Affinity couldn't do you more damage even if it wanted to :D

A lot of us moved to Affinity Photo because they do not like to stay online all the time. It is already a mess that Win 10 itself permanently disturbs work by its unwanted updates several times per week. I do not like that and therefore switch off Internet most of the time on my production machine. Who asked for that new feature? There are so many other asked features not done so far. Just remember of including save and close functionality within the macro recorder functionality which is open since years already. This would for sure be a useful thing which could speed up work a lot for those using a structured storage principle. And do not hesitate to charge in between for good new features. That is no problem, but keep on track please.

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

This has been implemented by a new and different team

Maybe moles from Adobe to ruin the Affinity experience?

As long as I have a choice for handling my content I am fine. Perhaps the upcoming improvements are so good, that everybody is saying "How could I have missed that?".

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

57 minutes ago, hy13 said:

It is already a mess that Win 10 itself permanently disturbs work by its unwanted updates several times per week.

This is basically absolute and utter nonsense. Nothing like this takes place.
Windows doesn't have several updates per week. There are two big "feature updates" a year, every second Tuesday of every month is so called "patch Tuesday" with fixes and rarely there can be out of schedule "high priority update". So no way that you will get updates "several times per week".
Also - for quite a long time windows offers option to pause updates. You can do that for a whole month. I have NEVER got my work interrupted by an update.
Stop inventing problems where there is none - live will be easier.

• Staff
Thanks for your feedback on the reg/store content sync. Last thing we want is for this to be viewed negatively, we just thought it was a nice convenient feature. We’ve decided to make the change that if you sign out any store content you have installed will remain (we’ll actually give an option if you want to clear it or keep it). So if you would prefer to be signed out you can without having to manually install the kits :)

This change will be in the next beta.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

Great to see that you are taking our concerns seriously. Helps with building trust. :)

Anyway, I wanted to expand my thought process regarding managing updates and installs from before. Here are some things I would like to see regarding the handling of Afffinity programs:

1) Divide up installs into two categories: Retail and Beta. 

2) Each section will have a way to access the latest patch notes for each version. Would make things a little easier to keep track of changes.

3) A direct link to the bug forums. Been Alpha and Beta testing Blender and one change the devs did some versions ago that has been invaluable when writing bug reports has been a direct link to creating a bug report with basic info about my hardware, what build version I am using, and a basic structure for how to write a report. Would speed things up a bit when sending feedback.

4) When a new update happens (Retail or Beta), you are given the option to either update your current install or create a brand new one with a new install location. This would be extra helpful during Beta tests where some builds are more broken than others and you would want to switch from an older to a newer build to check for differences. This combined with point 3 with info of your current version would make writing reports a little bit clearer.

5) Allow you to move the location of your cache data to other hard drives other than your main hard drive, possibly even cloud storage, for all your owned Affinity programs. Right now there is no way to change cache data storage in Affinity, so one way this could be done is through this new system with a bigger overview of all programs and not just one at a time.

Those are just some ideas on what I would like to see happen with the new system. If I have more, I will post them! :)

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

3) A direct link to the bug forums ... with basic info about my hardware, what build version I am using, and a basic structure for how to write a report. Would speed things up a bit when sending feedback.

I think this is a good idea. It would not only speed up the process but would also 'guide' novices - that are very welcome - but sometimes report in an initially not too helpful way 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

That is good to know its optional and also Affinity will continue to support offline mode of the tools. It is  one of the huge reasons I left Adobe and bought all the Affinity products in their place. As long as the online sign in stays as merely an extra option and has no impact on offline tool use I am ok with it.

I have more faith in Affinity than adobe, though I will admit I've seen similar things happen with like substance painter where they said they wouldn't remove perpetual licenses and do just that a year later backtracking their promises. So I will stay vigilant when it comes to any required log-in features for a program I bought that previously didn't use it before.

Auto-typing from a password manager doesn't work in the login window.

I'm glad to hear that the development of this feature won't impact normal development, I'll probably not use this as I like software being disconnected as much as possible, but I'd guess a LOT of users will welcome this with warm hands! (not the ones posting here on the forum though).

On 10/23/2020 at 12:19 PM, Mark Ingram said:

This has been implemented by a new and different team, so other feature development hasn't been affected.

Except if a new team was put to work on requested features. That would affect feature development positively.

That being said that if the goal is that a purchase from the store is automatically downloaded then it makes sense for the many non tech savvy users you are probably trying to attract with Affinity. And the new generation of customers who did not grow up with Norton Commander and the like. I didn't try to log in in the apps - never will - but I am curious how the PDF documentation for the brushes is handled. How will the customer get access to it?

The feature will be especially interesting if:

• Resources (fx brushes) are shared between all programs
  • Brushes can actually be arranged, re-arranged, grouped and sorted inside the programs (in the panels) as requested many times
  • Resource files are optimized more often - or perhaps split up into several files

The new team will not run out of work. 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.