You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying round corners to a box?

• 7 months later...

hate to say it but affinity could take a leaf out of Sketch here and im surprised nothing like it has been implemented.

Sketch has the ability to not only grab any corner of any shape you create - but any node anywhere on any shape to give it a corner / radius value. may seem trivial to some but i use this feature a great deal to soften vector images and have taken it for granted.

really missing in on Affinity... just took me a great too many additional steps to accurately round off a corner on a triangle when all it should have taken is clicking the node and giving it a radius value. i know this can be done as ive seen it on what i believe is an inferior product.

please consider this.

just noticed previous poster says it has already been done? i see no indication of this. please clarify. thanks.

hello and thank you.

wow quick reply and it seems the solution was right in front of me. i appreciate the help and forgive an only recent convert to your program. i am still getting used to it, but am impressed so far.

not only have you implemented this great feature but you have done it in a better way than i have seen in other apps.

keep up the good work!

Uhmm; just another opinion here but, I like having both the 'rectangle' and the 'rounded rectangle' in my tool bar - for a couple of reasons:

When I want a rectangle with rounded corners, I like simply to click-drag and be done - no extra fiddling required.

My toolbar only extends to less than halfway down the left side, so there is plenty of room to have both; it is not as if there is a lack of real estate there requiring the removal of a tool to make more room. Removing the specific 'rounded rectangle' tool makes about as much sense to me as would removing the 'smart' mode available for when using the pen tool.

One of the things I like best about Affinity D & P is the ease and simplicity with which I can do things quickly; maybe I am missing something here but what is being discussed (from the beginning of this post, anyway) would seem to be a large step backwards.

Uhmm; just another opinion here but, I like having both the 'rectangle' and the 'rounded rectangle' in my tool bar - for a couple of reasons:

When I want a rectangle with rounded corners, I like simply to click-drag and be done - no extra fiddling required.

My toolbar only extends to less than halfway down the left side, so there is plenty of room to have both; it is not as if there is a lack of real estate there requiring the removal of a tool to make more room. Removing the specific 'rounded rectangle' tool makes about as much sense to me as would removing the 'smart' mode available for when using the pen tool.

One of the things I like best about Affinity D & P is the ease and simplicity with which I can do things quickly; maybe I am missing something here but what is being discussed (from the beginning of this post, anyway) would seem to be a large step backwards.

strange you should say that as i still have the rounded box tool on my toolbar.

strange you should say that as i still have the rounded box tool on my toolbar.

Yes, both tools currently remain there seperately; sorry to have been unclear, but I was referring to a suggestion made early in the thread to "fusionate the rounded corner box simbol and the corner box into one simple element". I merely wanted to voice my opinion against such a change, Both programs are quite complex (as they need be) but they need not be unnecessarily complicated. IMO

ah cool man fair enough. tho in all honesty ive never understood why the rectangle gets singled out for a dedicated rounded corners tool and not other shapes.

maybe bc the rectangle is most often used for elements such as buttons, borders, boundaries, etc. - but i still find it odd given how often i want to add corners to other shapes.

fortunately the corner tool Affinity has implemented is fantastic and extremely quick and easy to use for all other shapes. as a result, for me anyway, having a rounded rectangle (only) tool seems superfluous. 

but like you said - currently the UI is not at all cluttered and there is plenty of real estate.

tho maybe having the ability to modify toolbars could help users manage their workspace more efficiently. i would certainly like to be able to move some of my tool elements arounds and even add or remove buttons. 

Quite correct! Obviously, the ideal situation would be more user customisation abilities in the tool bar.

Now, if there were some key one could depress when drawing out the rectangle which would cause it to become a rounded rectangle (in a manner similar to how the ellipse becomes a circle when holding the shift key) then I would likely not argue for a separate tool. I just try to keep in mind that it would be impossible for the developers to completely please every single one of the users while at the same time I have the confidence that they are trying to please as many as they possibly can after having looked at the roadmap.

Now, if there were some key one could depress when drawing out the rectangle which would cause it to become a rounded rectangle

After you've created the rectangle, you can use the Corner control in the context toolbar to make it into a rounded rectangle.

After you've created the rectangle, you can use the Corner control in the context toolbar to make it into a rounded rectangle.

Quite true, but at the cost of extra steps.  I have never tracked my usage as such, but I would be willing to guess that I, personally, use the rounded-rectangle more that the rectangle tool for my needs. I rather like merely pressing m to get to the round-rectangle tool and then click-dragging out my rounded rectangles as opposed to click-dragging a rectangle and then pressing c to get the corner tool and then dragging the corners. Plus I have the added benefit of a small red dot in the event that I want to change that rounded corner and ALL corners at once - something which I do not get with the rectangle/corner tool method.

Whether that should be termed a matter of taste or a matter convenience I will leave for someone else to decide - but I can unequivocally state that I prefer the faster, easier, simpler method in this particular instance.

Perhaps I could suggest that there be only one tool for rectangles - rounded ones - and that there be created a set of steps to go through each time for those who wish to have it converted into a 'regular' rectangle.  Certainly everyone here would be all for that!   :rolleyes:

I'm not referring to the Corner tool. The control I'm talking about is specific to the Rectangle object, and is located in the middle of the top toolbar, after the checkbox for Absolute sizes. It has a drop-down menu with different styles of corners, and it essentially turns the rectangle into a rounded rectangle, so you get a single radius node that adjusts all four corners at once.

I'm not referring to the Corner tool. The control I'm talking about is specific to the Rectangle object, and is located in the middle of the top toolbar, after the checkbox for Absolute sizes. It has a drop-down menu with different styles of corners, and it essentially turns the rectangle into a rounded rectangle, so you get a single radius node that adjusts all four corners at once.

Aha! I never knew this. Thank you for pointing that out to me (I always like to learn to find my way around the program more and more).  I just tried it.

But it is still two extra clicks to get what the rounded rectangle tool gives me from the beginning.  I understand that I will have no influence on the developers if this is something that a large number of users want to get rid of, but I only wanted there to be at least one voice against what I feel is not the best move regarding this tool. I suppose that I have accomplished that goal. I'll be quiet now.

Thanks again, Dave, for the tip.   :)

• Staff

tho maybe having the ability to modify toolbars could help users manage their workspace more efficiently. i would certainly like to be able to move some of my tool elements arounds and even add or remove buttons. 

@mrcavallo,

To customise the toobar (on the left by default) go to menu View ▸ Customise Tools...; to customise the Persona toolbar on top, right-click there and select Customize Toolbar...

The context toolbar is not customisable.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a total newbie to this so please don't laugh to loud when you hear my question.

I have a rectangle in my design that I need but I need to round the upper left and right corners but leave the bottom two corners at 90 degrees. how do I go about this?... and commence laughing.

• Staff

@Mvdarbs

You should use the Rounded Rectangle shape - then untick "Single radius" and you can set each corner independently.

If you already created a Rectangle, you can add corners to it.  The Corner Tool will bake a Shape node into a regular Curve node - once converted there is no going back.  While this is fine in general, you should try maintain Shape nodes as they are lighter weight, and maintain their editability.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB