You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Applying round corners to a box?

Is there a simple way to apply round corners to a box without resorting to using the Rounded Rectangle Tool to begin with?

If not, I think this would be a useful feature to add.

Thanks

2009: 27 inch iMac / Intel Core i5 / 2.66 GHz / 16 GB Memory / System: Yosemite 10.10.3 – PRINCIPAL DESIGN SOFTWARE: QuarkXpress 9.5.1, 10.5 and 2015 / Pinegrow Web Designer / Affinity Designer and Affinity Photo / Acorn

Omegaman,

I have run into the need for doing this too on occasions. What I do is to simply get the rounded rectangle tool, create a rectangle directly over the box then select the node tool and modify the corners to what you need. Then delete the original rectangle (box).

You can also select the original and view under “Transforms” the exact size and create a rounded rectangle the same size by actually entering in the exact same values for Height and Width. (The Team fix the crashing problem with accidental negative values.)

I especially like the ability you have with rounded rectangles to first modify the corners all at once to maintain exactness of all corners then uncheck “Single Radius” and adjust any other corner at will even to making the square if needed.

You may already know how to do this but some others may read this and gain from this description. This whole thing only takes a few seconds in the overall picture.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

I'll try to answer your petitions by making a suggestion...

why don't fusionate the rounded corner box simbol and the corner box into one simple element?

I mean... an unique icon to select... that creates a box with corners 0% by default, who could be then changed into the rounded we prefer.

2cxdgk1.jpg

• Staff

We've been discussing this.  I had also been considering it earlier.  As stupid as it sounds - we have the two shapes, rounded and regular, as (some) people expect it.  Arguably, the two tools could still create a rectangle shape that has the ability to be rounded or not - the respective tool just creates a shape with the appropriate initial settings.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

The original question of this topic it's that when a "normal box" it's created, can't be later modify to be rounded.

People do expected an automobile to have a couple of horses in the front... till some clever guy invented the motor. :D

I think this change would simplify the interface and make it consecuently more effective :)

Would be nice to have (for those who expect 2 buttons as others programs use to do...) a video-tutorial for begginers, with explanation of the tools and some function's behaviour in AF.

I just did some playing with the rounded rectangle and discovered this fact. 

If you create one then zoom way in on the upper left corner and start moving the radius (red) point towards the corner, continuing to zoom in doing the same thing to a massive zoom level you will see the Percentage go to zero long before you reach the corner and you can still continue to reduce the corner curve well below the indicated zero point almost indefinitely yet still retaining it as a rounded rectangle. But, at any time if you enter a “0” into the percentage field it instantly becomes a plain rectangle. Not sure exactly what this explains, if anything, but just shows you can do it.

I absolutely love the smooth zoom using “option-scroll” feature of the program.

Max

OS X Ventura 13.0.1, Mac Studio M1 Max, 27" Apple Studio Display, 32 GB SSD. Affinity Universal License for 2.0.

Mac User & Programmer since 1985 to date. Author of “SignPost” for vinyl sign cutting.

• Staff

The percentage value you see will be rounded to the nearest value.  You can actually have a radius value of 0.00001% before it forces it to be a single point.  When dragging the red dot, it'll clamp at 0, so that will force a single point.

To see what you get in terms of paths, convert to paths and see what curve handles it generates using the Node tool.  I've been very careful to ensure that the actual curves are simplified, with no coexistent points.  So, for example, if you max out the radii on the rounded rect to make a lozenge shape, when one curve meets another there will be no redundant points in between - you get two curves sharing one point.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

To see what you get in terms of paths, convert to paths and see what curve handles it generates using the Node tool.  I've been very careful to ensure that the actual curves are simplified, with no coexistent points.  So, for example, if you max out the radii on the rounded rect to make a lozenge shape, when one curve meets another there will be no redundant points in between - you get two curves sharing one point.

If the boolean operations would do that for overlapping nodes...

• Staff

I can't comment on that other than to say I'm sure it will get looked at soon, though I think it may require a significant change to the Boolean op code we have.

The Shapes are fairly well known specific cases, so the path generation and avoiding degenerate path segments and points is straight forward... They are all procedural and regular geometric, which helps.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Freehand made this super easy.

Cmd + Alt drag on any corner - rounded all 4 corners equally.

The more you dragged the more rounded they became.

You could also go into the Object palette and specify individual values for each corner if needed. No need for another 'tool'.

• Staff

I can't comment on that other than to say I'm sure it will get looked at soon, though I think it may require a significant change to the Boolean op code we have.

The Shapes are fairly well known specific cases, so the path generation and avoiding degenerate path segments and points is straight forward... They are all procedural and regular geometric, which helps.

Yes, i know it's not easy Ben, i was just venting my frustration because i tend to correct the additional nodes it creates. Don't know why it bugs me so much. I think it's because i always try to create clean paths and the boolean operations adding nodes defeats that purpose. Anyway i'm trying to let it go away and focus on what's more important. I'm just being too picky.

Glad to know Affinity Designer will be out soon. Wish you guys the best. The program rocks and it's more than time you get something in return too.

• 4 weeks later...

The percentage value you see will be rounded to the nearest value.  You can actually have a radius value of 0.00001% before it forces it to be a single point.  When dragging the red dot, it'll clamp at 0, so that will force a single point.

Would be interesting that the red dot would show somehow (in the menu, maybe next to the rounding %) the radious in pixels of the curved corner... in real time.

• Staff

If you use "Absolute sizes" for your radius, it will show it in your document units.  If you are trying to get a specific size, switch to Absolute sizes and set the value directly in pixels.  You can then convert back to non-absolute - the corner radius will stay the same, but it will now give you a % of the shape size again.

Of course, if you then resize your rectangle, the corner radius will scale proportionally.  If you leave it as Absolute sizes, when resizing the rectangle, the radius will be fixed at your pixel size, and not scale with the object.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

Thanks Ben.  I didn't see that :)

By  the way , would be great to force (by shorcut) to exact units... for avoiding 3,2mm , 6,9mm... etc    jumping 2, 3, 4mm... for example... or 5, 10, 15, 20....etc.

33ykdo0.png

As well, the text tool could have that same "controller" down the menu... and be forced (by shortcut) to exact values that could be changed with arrow up/down or mouse's clickwheel.

2qx9mp0.png

and... One more thing....

What about separating the units from the size number? maybe silly? maybe not? ... :D so we can easily change it from pt, to px, to mm...etc...  a thing i don't know where to do right now.

vqle7p.jpg

• Staff

We show the units in the control box because you can type a value and use any unit you like. For example, if my document uses mm as the units, I can put a value of 12pt in, and it will convert it to mm. I could also type in 20px, and it would convert from pixels to mm using the document's DPI.  If I type just a number, it will assume it is in the document units, unless the control is showing a percentage or an angle.

The value will always be shown using the documents units (but you can change this at any type in the document setup).

You can also type formulae into the box.  For example, "2cm * 5.2" or "3in + 5mm", or "/= 2" to create a value of half the current value.  The formula side will be improved over time.  We have a large number of undocumented constant values.  When we have time, we will add a way to display what constant values are available, and maybe a fast function tool.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

Fonts are currently always shown in pts.  Soon, this will allow you to use the units.

You can set the document units on the context toolbar when using the View or Pan tools, or in the document setup dialog.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 weeks later...

Christ learning something new everyday in this app! Will the honeymoon ever end?  automatic conversion and formula accepting input field? Thank You!! 

• Staff

We aim to please.   ;)

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• Staff

I'll try to answer your petitions by making a suggestion...

why don't fusionate the rounded corner box simbol and the corner box into one simple element?

I mean... an unique icon to select... that creates a box with corners 0% by default, who could be then changed into the rounded we prefer.

2cxdgk1.jpg

Just one thought - think the (no corner radius) rectangle would make more sense as being it's own tool if it was already "converted to curves".  Same applies to the ellipse - considering there are not any smart shape type customisations available not sure there is any need for them not to be curves straight away and it does give a workflow benefit ;)

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

• Staff

Good idea, but I think someone gave an example of adding corners to an existing regular rectangle though, or adding a hole to an existing ellipse. That would work seamlessly if we created a rounded rectangle with corners of radius 0 instead of a normal rectangle.

Could be a tool option i guess. Swings and roundabouts.

• iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

• 2 months later...

We've been discussing this.  I had also been considering it earlier.  As stupid as it sounds - we have the two shapes, rounded and regular, as (some) people expect it.  Arguably, the two tools could still create a rectangle shape that has the ability to be rounded or not - the respective tool just creates a shape with the appropriate initial settings.

Maybe developer but not designers. :ph34r:

for this point I still prefer how Ai use rectangle shapes 

<lendrius>
<equipment> MacBook Pro 15" Quad-Intel 8GB Samsung PRO SSD & 22" Asus LCD from old Linux Machine </equipment>
<education> Degree in Science of Communication </education>
<employ> WebDesigner & Front End Developer </employ>
<passion> Bass Player </passion>
</lendrius>

+10 for merging the two rectangle tools and defaulting to a 0% / 90° corners. Simplify the UI and still maintain all functionality. Redundancy sucks.

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Ventura 13.6

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17