You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master pages and magazine layout issue - Alignment not sticking when applying new master

I have a layout for an 8 page magazine (8.5x11 page size on 11x17 folded paper). This is just a test run for a larger publication. I am experimenting with this publication as a single page document because my printer requires submit single pages to print a magazine.

The master pages have worked well for most things, but trying to create headers that correctly format left/right pages has been a real challenge.

In the attached document, you can see I have created a header for right-side pages with the section title on the top right and article title on the top left. I then created the identical header in reverse for the left-side pages. 

When I apply the right side master to the right-side page, it works just fine and I can edit the placeholder text. Same with the left-side page.

But I occasionally need to rearrange pages, so what started as a left-sided page may end up as a right-sided page. In that case, you will notice that applying the new master (with migrate content checked) changes the text alignment. The text itself remains, but the alignment changes. The top left corner now is right-aligned, and the top right corner is now left-aligned.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? Maybe I haven't designed the headers properly, but I've tried a number of different ways to no avail.

And in case you want to know why I haven't used it as a facing pages publication, when I move pages around in that setup it is a nightmare to manage and reformat. I started out that way using a facing pages master and that worked (since both the left and right are specified in the spread) but moving a single page around really messes things up.

I am hopeful someone can point me in the right direction or offer any advice on how to properly configure a magazine of any length for left/right headers/footers...AND with the ability to rearrange any page or spread in the document without wrecking the whole thing.

Thanks!!

APub - Master Example Magazine L-R.pdf

• Staff

Hi @Serif Since v1,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

16 hours ago, Serif Since v1 said:

you will notice that applying the new master (with migrate content checked) changes the text alignment. The text itself remains, but the alignment changes. The top left corner now is right-aligned, and the top right corner is now left-aligned.

Could you please provide a screen recording of this happening? This isn't something I've heard of before so I'd like to see the steps your taking to get a better understanding of your document.

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!