You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer vs Illustrator for iPad

So I tried Illustrator for iPad... it turns out Serif doesn’t have any competition 😅

for starters, the pen tool was kinda janky especially when closing a shape(if Adobe can’t even get the basics right...),

no width variance features for strokes or corner smoothing, and for €10 a month!?

Vector software has to at least get these fundamentals working out of the box or it’s a 👎 from me.

Anyone lose have a better experience?

9 hours ago, ThirtyFiveThousand said:

Text on path. Shapebuilder Tool. Pattern Tools. Adobe has arrived, and is kicking a fair bit of ass with the ease of use found in these tools. When Envelope Distort arrives, Affinity's iPad dominance will be in question. You guys need to pull out that roadmap and step on that gas pedal. 

True, text on path is a good feature, how have you found the Pen tool?

10 hours ago, ThirtyFiveThousand said:

Text on path. Shapebuilder Tool. Pattern Tools. Adobe has arrived, and is kicking a fair bit of ass with the ease of use found in these tools. When Envelope Distort arrives, Affinity's iPad dominance will be in question. You guys need to pull out that roadmap and step on that gas pedal. 

Some of us can live without a dedicated Shapebuilder Tool, but AD for iPad (and for desktop) desperately needs a Vector Pattern Tool, and I’d also like to see Envelope, Perspective/Mesh Warp and Roughen Tools.

AD has offered Text on a Path for quite a long time, and now APh has it too.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Some of us can live without a dedicated Shapebuilder Tool, but AD for iPad (and for desktop) desperately needs a Vector Pattern Tool, and I’d also like to see Envelope, Perspective/Mesh Warp and Roughen Tools.

Have you had the chance to give Illustrator a go?

37 minutes ago, BarKeegan said:

Have you had the chance to give Illustrator a go?

No. Unfortunately, it isn’t compatible with my humble iPad Air 2.

Alfred spacer.png

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

Text on path in Affinity is very useful. Text on path in Illustrator (or AiPad to make it short/catchy) is very easy. Again, ease of use is the more attractive feature. It’s the reason both Graphic and Vectornator got kicked off my iPad Pro years ago in favor of Designer, Photo, and Publisher For iPad [HINT].

40 minutes ago, Artsketch said:

Superb app. The blob brush, shape builder and vector eraser making Illustrator very unique for creative work.. Don’t confuse with Affinity’s blob bug 🙂

I must admit, the blob brush was smooth, and since a unified point width is consistent with modern illustration trends, they get away without having some way of tapering the line (for now).

the auto-closing of shapes using pencil tool is handy.

Unfortunately the Pen tool is broken 😔 

• 3 weeks later...

I've been beta testing the Illustrator app for a while and I think both Designer and Illustrator have their good and bad points and neither can currently replace my desktop workflow.

Illustrator's UI is much more intuitive for a touch platform with the context sensitive bar that comes up underneath your selections. I find Designer on iPad is too close to the desktop version and without a keyboard too much stuff is buried in menus, everything takes a few too many taps to do imo. As more features are added to Illustrator it will become a much better app, right now its finesse and features are lacking. But Designer has a huge advantage over the Illustrator app in that it allows canvas rotation. Considering the reason I usually start work on the iPad is because of the vector drawing, the lack of rotation on Illustrator is supremely disappointing. I don't expect it will be added either as it's interoperable with the desktop version, which also lacks canvas rotation. Bummer.

10 minutes ago, befehr said:

In fact, I am now finding myself picking up my iPad rather than going to the desktop.

I can’t remember when I last used the desktop version of Designer or Photo.

By the way, I hope you’ll consider reposting your wonderful drawing to the ‘Share Your Work’ forum. It would be interesting — probably mind-boggling! — to see the wireframe view, too.

Alfred spacer.png