You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Data Merge – Preview missing for Output "Page Range"

It seems the option "Preview" doesn't work if the output option "Page Range" is selected – even not for page 1.
Also note the different checkbox UI colors (no fill vs. blue fill) with "All pages" vs. "Page Range".

1039713304_datamerge-previewallpages.jpg.3aa366a73c73df05b13f3a3368eb0e51.jpg

Page Range 1 (of 3) – but no preview:

1592006031_datamerge-previewpagerange.jpg.e7bc155c09557b582aee0e613c1df749.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

I find the previews don't display if you set the range to contain pages that have no data merge on. But if your document has the merge nodes on page 1 and its set from 1 to 1 then i'd expect those to display. Can you upload the document?

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

@Jon P, you are right: the "Repeat:" page numbers reflect layout page numbers, not output page numbers as I expected.

I still see confusing issues with the Preview feature:

a.)  With "All Pages" the two default grayed out "1" in the "Repeat:" fields seem to be wrong in layout documents with more than 1 page. As you see above both screenshots do show page numbers "1" only – but this two identical page number settings displays different preview results.

b.)  If I set in "Page Range" two custom values and toggle between "All Pages" and "Page Range" then my page entries get altered inconsistently ("All Pages") and also get reset unexpectedly ("Page Range"):

Toggling a few times (without manually changing the page numbers), starting with custom page numbers in "Page Range", then...

... in "All Pages" the custom set "To" page number remains + the "From" page number gets set to "1", then...
... in "Page Range" both custom page numbers get set to "1", then
... in "All Pages" also the "To" number gets set to "1".

c.) The preview actually doesn't display the real output. Instead it shows the selected node object filled with copies of the first record – whereas the output contains as expected continuous entries (= no copied /repeated record entries):

– Preview:
453265165_v801dm-preview.jpg.c8df436495d69e03801145c5567743ce.jpg

– Output:
1426366754_v801dm-output.jpg.76e866bc451fae66b8658b89657d7887.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.