You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes on save and at other times

Hi all,

New user here... running Windows 10 on desktop PC. Affinity Publisher v 1.8.5.703

I've been using Publisher for about a week, first on the free trial version, then purchased it a couple of days ago. Having been frustrated trying to get Word to jump through hoops on a book project, I though it was time to invest in a decent DTP and liked the look of Publisher. I  imported the file from a PDF (couldn't figure out how to import a Word doc directly), so images were imported along with the text.

Everything imported pretty well, although there are some odd line breaks, which are easy to fix, and some lines with only two or three words exhibiting extreme justification - I've found it easier to replace the entire paragraph in those cases. (I'm not convinced that this is a Publisher issue, it probably results from the PDF conversion.)

Everything was going pretty well until last evening. I'd been working on the project all day with no trouble, then came back to it after a Zoom conference all (I only mention this in case it has relevance), whereupon the program started crashing to desktop (CTD) frequently. The first time, I had been trying to figure out how to caption an image and place that within a text block (I'm still struggling with this). Then, I changed the font size in my page headers and numbers and tried to save - again, CTD. I can reproduce this regularly with my working file, but things seem OK on a new file.

There were a few other seemingly random CTD incidents when I was working on the document, where it would CTD without warning.

Grahame

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.6GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GeForce RTX-3060ti GPU, 64-Bit Windows 11
Affinity Publisher/ Designer/ Photo 1.10.6.1665 and 2.4.1

"I don't do fruit-based technology."

Some good news - I have managed to salvage a copy of the file from my laptop, where I was working on it yesterday morning, and that seems to be OK. So I've lost half a day's work, but it's not a complete disaster if I can manage to avoid the situation that caused the CTD last night.

Grahame

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-core 3.6GHz CPU, 32GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, GeForce RTX-3060ti GPU, 64-Bit Windows 11

Thanks Jon. It seems to have been mainly my general incompetence at using the program. I think I'm getting the hang of it now though. 🙂

Grahame

Ditto here.  Publisher crashed on saves repeatedly.  This occurred with large files (>1GB) where major portions had been deleted.  Files were not corrupted but a salvage file was created, which was reassuring but not necessary.  I would have preferred the program not to crash after a save, obviously.  

I am also having this problem.  For months now I have been working in Publisher 1.8.5.703 on Windows 10, on a book project.  It has about 320 pages and hundreds of images, all embedded.  Everything was fine until today.  Yesterday I edited the file, saved it, exported it to PDF, and closed it.  Today every time I save it or, presumably, it does an auto-save, and sometimes for no apparent reason, it crashes to desktop.  I cannot get it to save any new changes -- it always opens to the same page.  I tried opening my backup file -- saved at the same time as this one -- and it behaves exactly the same.  I'll have to start from scratch if I can't figure this out. 

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Sorry to create a moving target, but I have isolated the problem to the Table of Contents.  If I completely remove the TOC, the file saves properly.  If I regenerate the TOC, the file CTD upon save.  This leads me to believe the problem actually exists in a heading somewhere in the document.  I'm working on isolating that...

I hope this information is helpful for anyone working to correct the problem, and I'm hoping someone has an idea that will help me recover the file without just creating the TOC manually.  It would be totally unacceptable to have to manually maintain the TOC.

One more post on this issue -- I have resolved the issue in my file, but I still don't know what actually caused it.  I removed the TOC and saved the file.  I created all of the Text Fields for the TOC, all connected to each other for flow, and saved that.  Then I inserted the TOC and saved that.  The file seems stable.  I hope this information is helpful.

Good to know that the problem was connected to the TOC.  I found that after an initial crash, reopening the file and saving it again was usually successful.  No idea why.  I speculated that it had to do with the length of the file, > 2GB, but don't really know.