You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Crashing Repeatedly

Hi, can someone please help me out?

I am trying to remove the background from a photograph using the Smart selection brush tool and every time I try to refine the selection and Apply the changes, the app crashes and brings me back to my home screen. I have tried at least 15 times and it does it without fail every time. I have tried deleting the app and downloading it again, I have tried restarting my iPad and nothing helps.

Using a 3rd generation iPad Air with 13.7 iOS. Please help me out! This is rendering the app pretty much useless to me at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @The Bones of Them. :)

Can you tell us more about the photograph (e.g. file format and pixel dimensions) or, better still, share it here? I’m also using APh on iOS 13.7, albeit on an iPad Air 2, and I haven't noticed any major problems when refining a selection.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff

Hey The Bones of Them,

There is an ongoing issue wherein using the Refine feature can cause the app to crash with certain outputs. Can you confirm the settings for the Refine context bar please?

The problem the support staff are having is that we cannot consistently get the crash to happen, which can make it difficult for the developers to debug and fix. Are you able to attach the .afphoto file with the selection already present so we can have a go at getting the crash? You said it happens every time so this might help us! 

• 1 year later...

honeybee.afphotoI'm on Win 10, 0.19043. Build 19043. Running Photo 1.10.4.1198.

When I try to refine a selection, it hangs up. After minutes, I run out of patience before it crashes, and turn off the program. It's happening repeatedly - I haven't gotten it to complete the process yet. Based on what the person before me said, it doesn't look like it would help to reinstall the program. ?

At least 2 different photos.

• Dragonfly image: the .jpg original is 8.41 MB, 4288x2848.
    • The afphoto version is 19,222 KB.
  • Honeybee image: original .jpg is 2000x3000px, 1,349KB.
    • The .afphoto version is 4,555KB. I would have been working in it to refine the selection.

I'd upload the photos, but it seems the paperclip icon below has the word "Loading..." after it, and it's not accepting any uploads.

dragonfly-crop.afphoto

​Sharon

Just now, CatLady said:

honeybee.afphotoI'm on Win 10, 0.19043. Build 19043. Running Photo 1.10.4.1198.

When I try to refine a selection, it hangs up. After minutes, I run out of patience before it crashes, and turn off the program. It's happening repeatedly - I haven't gotten it to complete the process yet. Based on what the person before me said, it doesn't look like it would help to reinstall the program. ?

At least 2 different photos.

• Dragonfly image: the .jpg original is 8.41 MB, 4288x2848.
    • The afphoto version is 19,222 KB.
  • Honeybee image: original .jpg is 2000x3000px, 1,349KB.
    • The .afphoto version is 4,555KB. I would have been working in it to refine the selection.

I'd upload the photos, but it seems the paperclip icon below has the word "Loading..." after it, and it's not accepting any uploads.

dragonfly-crop.afphoto 18.77 MB · 0 downloads

Further info: Task Manager shows the power usage is around 15% while this is happening. I don't remember the CPU use.

​Sharon