You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text Snapping within a Text Frame

All

I'm not really sure how to describe the issue I'm having. It seems that whenever I insert a text frame or a table, the text within each frame moves independent of the frame itself. For example, if I create a frame and insert filler text, the text may be positioned in the upper-left. However, I can move the frame, and the text within will stay static until it reaches a "cliff" at which point it will snap back to the upper-left of the frame (see attached screen shots). It happens whether I have snapping on or off. 

Additionally, text alignments will adjust accordingly. For example, if I have the alignment set to center vertically, the degree to which the text is actually in the middle of the frame depends on where the frame is relative to the "cliff" that snaps it back to true center.

I hope this all makes sense. I'm completely new to creative suites like this, so I'm hoping there's a relatively simple answer to my problem. 

Thanks!

Stephan

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Nairtcab.

To me it looks like your text did move horizontally, but not vertically, when you moved the frame. My guess: You have a baseline grid enabled, which would restrict the text's vertical placement to align with that grid.

Check:

1. The Text Frame studio panel; and
  2. View > Show Baseline Grid and View > Show Baseline Grid Manager.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

2 hours ago, thomaso said:

Your screenshot shows by the according toolbar icon that you don't have the baseline grid enabled for the document

What toolbar icon shows that in their screenshots? I'm not aware of any toolbar icon that shows whether the document baseline grid is active or not.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

38 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

What toolbar icon shows that in their screenshots? I'm not aware of any toolbar icon that shows whether the document baseline grid is active or not.

Oh, you are right, thank you and sorry. I am always expecting the "Baseline grid" toolbar icon would activate the documents baseline grid + indicate an active grid with a black icon background even if not displayed as guides on the page.

Unfortunately I still seem to stick to my UI expectation instead to differing experience. The same happens to me with the Text Wrap icon in the toolbar, that I always expect to indicate activated wrapping for a selected object by a black icon background – additionally to the function of opening a panel.

897107693_toolbar-iconsasindicatorsortoopenpanels.jpg.c15d26ecfecc8ed3262b55d5e5131a77.jpg

Like the UI related "Preview" does, and the object related "Snapping" and the "Pinned" icon, too (though without opening a panel).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

6 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Oh, you are right, thank you and sorry. I am always expecting the "Baseline grid" toolbar icon would activate the documents baseline grid + indicate an active grid with a black icon background even if not displayed as guides on the page.

Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something :)

-- Walt
PC:

14 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @Nairtcab.

To me it looks like your text did move horizontally, but not vertically, when you moved the frame. My guess: You have a baseline grid enabled, which would restrict the text's vertical placement to align with that grid.

Check:

1. The Text Frame studio panel; and
  2. View > Show Baseline Grid and View > Show Baseline Grid Manager.

Cheers everyone! That seems to have done it!

• 1 year later...