You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

What Age and Experience are Affinity Users? (–> Poll)

What age and experience are Affinity (forum) users?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. There is a wide range of experiences among Affinity users, some with professional knowledge, others as beginners or lateral entries / career changers. This poll want's to get kind of a numerical overview of their spread. – What age are you?

• age 0 – 25
    • age 21 – 40
    • age 41 – 60
    • age above 60
    • I don't want to tell my age
  2. 2. What education are you in or did you get? Is it graphic oriented – or for any different profession and you were self-teaching any required graphic knowledge?

• I am in / with graphical education
    • I am in / with any other education
    • I don't want to tell my education / profession

[ If you don't see the poll scroll up to get it displayed. ]

Some users appear to be experienced with 'ancient' terms, more common before DTP – like certain aspects in typesetting, image processing (lithography) or preparation for print (prepress). What sounds familiar or even essential for some users may appear redundant or unnecessary complex to others – accordingly feature requests may sound helpful or cause rejection. I am interested in a statistical impression of the users variety concerning their different knowledge.

The poll asks two questions:

• The user's age.
  • The user's education / profession.

The poll does not publish user names.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

I think the poll is not necessarily going to show the average age and education of Affinity users, but the age of Affinity users that for some particular reason participate in its forum.

There might be some that have a brief participation because they want to solve a problem they are facing or because they want to get to know how to do something, but that’s all, and others might participate because they enjoy learning from the knowledge of the ones that know better and/or want to share their experience in a forum.

I am on the side of the quite grown up ones that prefer to participate in forums, keep learning and learning through thoroughly written articles or books, take my time when I want to write something to express myself, and I prefer to get to know about the news reading newspapers. But most of the young people I know seem to prefer to watch videos from Youtube rather than read articles, to write and read telegraphic messages in whatsapp and/or get to know the news through Twitter, but not that much participating in forums. Not meaning with this that there will not be as well those who live in both worlds or in an alternative one.

But anyway, my point is that I think the poll is not necessarily going to reflect the age of Affinity users. It will reflect something else, whatever it might be.

Looking at the age poll, I think Serif should change to BIG icons and BIG text in the UI.

7 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

And I am already a grey beard.

You are not alone. :(

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

In addition to the issues already raised, how would statistics of people’s ages and “graphical education” (or lack of it) tell you what sort of terms they might be using?
I can easily imagine someone in their teens learning ‘old’ terminology from a website about traditional typesetting and can just as easily imagine someone in their 80’s learning ‘new’ terminology from young friends/colleagues. And plenty of other possibilities in-between.
Also, you have no idea where people are learning (country/establishment), or which course they are on (or did) or who they are being taught by, so that’s not going to get you much useful data either.
For instance, some newer colleges may be teaching up-to-date terminology whereas some older universities may have a more ‘traditional’ syllabus, or the other way around, or something else. You have no way of knowing so you can’t infer much from the data you get.
Good luck with the poll but I can’t see what useful information you might get from it given your initial statement.

I do not know which age to tick since my physical age is older than my brain age which is older than my heart age -😊

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

The poll can only be for people who reply to the poll, so at the moment, the majority of Affinity users who reply to the poll is in the 41 to 60 age range, assuming nobody is telling porky pies. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions