You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Undeletable default palettes

Me thinks, that I read (or even posted) this somewhere?!? It is not possible to delete the default palettes Greys, Colours and Gradients in 1.9.0.798. In the current betas of AP and AD it is possible.

IMHO having these default palettes is a bad idea. Who needs a colour palette full of HSL colours? Or best proof from a forum post lately: A user created a CMYK document, picked Black from the Greys palette and was desperate, that he/she/it got a rich black instead of 100% K.

Best would be (my opinion) to show default palettes depending on the colour format. Say Red, Green, Blue for RGB or Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Registration, White for CMYK. And I would like to load spot palettes when I need them, not having them as default.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

34 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Or best proof from a forum post lately: A user created a CMYK document, picked Black from the Greys palette and was desperate, that he/she/it got a rich black instead of 100% K.

The user picked the wrong Black swatch. They needed to use the one to the right of the palette name. Those 3 (black, mid-gray, white) are CMYK when in a CMYK document, and the black is true black (0/0/0/100) in that case.

It is odd that the Grays swatches are RGB swatches when one is in a CMYK document. That should be fixed, and yes, the default palettes should depend on the document color mode.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

45 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

It is not possible to delete the default palettes Greys, Colours and Gradients in 1.9.0.798

Needs fixing - they delete fine on Mac - replaced with my own application palettes CMYK and greyscales and my default palette for new CMYK documents is document palette 'process globals' so all back up and running after a few resets with the previous beta

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It is odd that the Grays swatches are RGB swatches when one is in a CMYK document. That should be fixed, and yes, the default palettes should depend on the document color mode.

What Walt said 👍

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

This is spooky. I tried to delete the palettes and tried and tried ... with no success. Until now. All of a sudden I was able to delete the palettes and I had no restart and tried it like I tried before! Wtf?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Best would be (my opinion) to show default palettes depending on the colour format. Say Red, Green, Blue for RGB or Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Black, Registration, White for CMYK. And I would like to load spot palettes when I need them, not having them as default.

Yes please! And have that default palette act as the document palette in a new document. Super irritating to create a new color swatch and, if I haven't taken the step of creating a document palette, it just lands in the the "Greys" palette since that's the first of the defaults listed.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.