You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 1.8.5.703 freezes or slows down when Windows has a lot of fonts

sigmb6

I have noticed that after I installed a font bundle I purchased (http://www.kimberlygeswein.com/), Affinity Designer in Windows 1.8.5.5703 started freezing on color selection (dragging the full color spectrum selector) and just creating rectangles and such. The app will slow down or freeze and then draw the rectangles or allow to change the color. I immediately removed all the fonts I installed, and the problem went away. I have a intel i7 10700K with 32GB ram, M.2 1TB SSD main HD and AMD 5700XT GPU.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @sigmb6. :)

How many fonts are there in this particular KG bundle, and how many fonts did you have installed previously?

It’s possible that the app is choking on one particularly complex font. Does the problem still occur if you reinstall half of the fonts — and if not, does it occur if you uninstall those fonts and install the other half instead?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

There were 390 ttf files total. Per your suggestion, I separated the fonts that were glyphs, symbols or images and decided not to load them. I loaded the normal text fonts and I don't perceive the slowness or freezing. I noticed even Windows was having issues with displaying the glyph, symbol and images fonts when it tries to enumerate "The quick brown fox".

The thing is I don't have problems with these fonts on my 2015 Mac Book Pro with Affinity Designer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi sigmb6,

Sorry for the delay in responding. Would it be possible for you to upload a copy of the font bundle you installed please? Without that we won't be able to be able to reproduce the issue, however I can understand if you cannot due to license restrictions.

I've created an internal Dropbox link that you can use to keep the files private.
https://www.dropbox.com/request/TbbP1bcWOhRJTjN5jT4W