Bauke

Font translations mixed up

Hello

I'm running both Affinity Designer and Photo on a Dutch language OSX. The applications are ofcourse in English but they seem to translate the font styles such as bold, italic, heavy etcetera into Dutch.

The problem is that these translations are often not correct. Whenever I select a typeface with more then regular, italic, bold and bold italic styles, the styles are mixed up.

For example: If I select the 'licht' style (which means light in Dutch) I get a bold. When I select 'vet' which means bold in Dutch, I get a regular italic, and so on.

Is this an Affinity problem or does it happen in the font managing part of OSX?

I haven't encountered this problem in other software.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry Bauke

I thought I replied to this

These translation are what the OS are pulling from the font rather than Affinity. Sounds like it's mixed up the order, but when i tried it click on vet made stuff bold as expected. Are you using any custom fonts at all?

The character and paragraph options have changed slightly in the latest betas so it may be worth giving it a try in the latest customer beta for Photo and Designer

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Thanks for your replies. I'm currently using OSX 10.10.4.

I discovered that the dedicated character panel does show the right translations but the context toolbar consistently doesn't. The context bar actually takes the name of the next font style in the list. So when I click 'vet' in the character panel, it rightly applies bold to the text. The context bar however, shows 'zwaar' which means heavy. Heavy is the next font style in the list. So the problem seems to be probably somewhere in the context bar.

On a more general note: I personally think the way OSX translates font styles is quite primitive, and I often encounter fonts where half of the styles are translated in Dutch, while the other half are not translated because the typedesigner chose non-traditional names for these styles. Other design-related applications ignore the OSX translations and use the original style names, which is more practical in a professional environment.

As long as Affinity doesn't offer application wide translation, I personally think it's better for Affinity to ignore the OSX translations, because we now get a inconsistent user interface with two languages.

Can I assume that the origin of this bug is known by now? Also, should I voice my user interface related opinion I wrote about in the post above in another forum like the Feature Requests of Questions? Thanks in advance!

I just updated to 1.4 (which by the way looks very good) but this bug isn't fixed yet as can be seen in the attached screenshot. I also made a topic in Feature Requests about my opinion on the translated fonts here.

post-17483-0-08303800-1449659846_thumb.png

Hi

It would be nice knowing your thoughts on this, because it looks like it hasn't changed in the 1.5 beta and this poses a major difficulty for typographic design.

To summarize the two problems:

• The typography palette and the typography section in the context toolbar show different font-styles (see my previous post for an example).
  • Affinity fetches names for font-styles from the OSX interpretation, which messes things up on a non-English OSX installation. As a result, font-styles are not showing up or are mislabeled. I can't think of any reason why you should not use the names that the type designer specified in his font.

For more in-depth explanation, see my previous posts in this topic. If you need any additional information or examples, let me know!

Best regards

Bauke

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply and the fix! I'm looking forward to the next beta.

I'm curious: does this fix still uses the OSX interpretation of the names of the font-styles or the ones the typedesigner has specified in the font file?

The names will still be what OS X gives us I'm afraid. I haven't decided on what to do with that yet. However, the fix is the missing styles in the list, the differences between the list in the context toolbar and the character page, and the fact it doesn't apply the correct style due to the list corruption. Hopefully it helps.

I'm happy to discover that this got fixed in beta 4. It looks like you also decided to display the font-style-names specified in the font itself, which is great!

Thanks for your work!