You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image turns B&W when selecting pen tool

Basically the title says it. I've noticed that if I place an image on a page, then select the Pen Tool, the image turn from colour to black and white. If I hit Ctrl + Z, it goes back to colour and then works OK.Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.9bcb28aec9ca34945be6d7e5b5ccb129.jpg

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

Strange, not for me. Does this happen for all images or only this? Resetted the application already?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

You have an (Image) layer, which is one of the layer types that can have a Fill applied. You have that layer selected. You also have "Use Fill" selected in the Context Toolbar for your Pen Tool, and you have a gray Fill set for the tool.

Because you have "Use Fill" set, and have a layer selected that can have a Fill, when you select that tool its fill is applied to the layer.

This is not new behavior. You need to:

• Rasterize the Image layer; or
  • Turn off Use Fill; or
  • Deselect the Image layer before selecting the Pen Tool.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I don't get it. What do I have to do, to "achieve" this behaviour, making the image gray? Not by following the simple 2 steps: Place a colour PNG and switch to Pen tool.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

33 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I don't get it. What do I have to do, to "achieve" this behaviour, making the image gray? Not by following the simple 2 steps: Place a colour PNG and switch to Pen tool.

Did you select "Use Fill" on the Context Toolbar after switching to the Pen Tool?

If so, what Fill do you have specified on the Context Toolbar?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Did you select "Use Fill" on the Context Toolbar after switching to the Pen Tool?

No, why should I? I just placed the file and switched to Pen tool like PaulEC told in his first post. Maybe @PaulEC used a fill?

------

3 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

No, why should I? I just placed the file and switched to Pen tool like PaulEC told in his first post. Maybe @PaulEC used a fill?

Why should you? To recreate the setup that Paul had.

He has "Use Fill" selected and a Fill specified in the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

He has "Use Fill" selected and a Fill specified in the Context Toolbar.

Yes, I clearly see this. But how do you get to this state? Pauls setup was A) Place an image and B) Select the Fill Tool PERIOD. When I follow this setup I have no fill or stroke colour preselected.

------

16 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Yes, I clearly see this. But how do you get to this state? Pauls setup was A) Place an image and B) Select the Fill Tool PERIOD. When I follow this setup I have no fill or stroke colour preselected.

It all depends on the defaults one has selected for the Pen Tool, or (perhaps) the settings one last used with the Tool.

I suspect this is another example of a situation that seems common, where users want tools to remember settings, but then when tools do remember the settings it ends up causing other problems.

-- Walt
PC:

Thanks for your replies guys. You're right, it isn't a bug! (BTW - I thought "Use fill" just filled the shape created with the Pen Tool, rather than affecting the whole image.)

I don't think this is a bug, it also seems to happen in the release version.

I open APub and create a new page. At this point the fill shows the default grey.

I place an image and the fill changes to transparent.

I select the Pen Tool and the fill changes back to grey - hence the image turns b&w.

But, this only seems to happen when I first open APub, after that the swatches don't change when I select the Pen Tool.

The key thing seems to be that the first time I place an image and select the Pen Tool, selecting the Pen Tool make the colour swatches revert to the default, but after the first time, if I delete that image, place another image, and select the Pen Tool the swatches stay on transparent.

I don't know why this happens but it happens with both release and beta versions. Maybe it's something to do with my particular set-up!

Edited by PaulEC
add video

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Maybe it's something to do with my particular set-up!

Try this: select the Pen Tool, and set the Context Toolbar options you want as the defaults. Then Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from Selection, followed by Edit > Defaults > Save.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.