You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Data Merge -- UI Suggestion

I would really like for all Data Merge related stuff, including the new tool on the toolbar, in one single Studio Panel / Palette.

I know it goes against the current user interface habits, and I really LOVE the idea of collating different files and having them all ready to use in one single "Fields" palette. However, as it is now, the Data Merge feels like peppered all over the interface: To set it up and use it, I need to look for it's features in three different places (toolbar, fields panel and data merge panel and I'm not sure if I actually discovered everything yet).

Bringing it together in one place would make it much easier to learn, explore and use it.

If and when it get's powerful enough (XML, attaching tags / rows / columns to text and character styles, doing calculations, using formatted source data in the text flow ...), maybe even move it in it's own Persona?

I do agree! I can see the logic of having all "insert fields" in the same place, but I'd much rather have the "insert fields" for data merge in the "Data Merge Manager". Personally I'd also prefer to have a Data Merge tab, rather than a pop up "Data Merge Manager" dialogue. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I'd appreciate if the DM manager would display the resulting number of total pages, for instance either in the "Source" section at the existing info (x fields, y records loaded, z pages) or in the "Output" > "All Pages" > "To:" field.

508194931_datamerge-totalpagesUI.jpg.c7b4b56ad8bc2f8fca6fd80ec513de18.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.