You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I must bring many of my former Adobe files (Illustrator and InDesign) into AffDesigner and AffPUblisher after saving them in Adobe in the necessary Adobe format. They import, but of course the programming approach to layers being so different means that I must recreate these layers in Affinity. Sometimes a layer will come over, as well as the objects or texts in that layer. Most of the time, however, each individual parts of a graphic appear as a multitude of separate object in Affinity.

One big problem is that entire paragraphs of text come over a separate lines (multi-lines). I understand why that it is in the transfer process, but I also wonder if Affinity has anyway to bring them into a single paragraph, short of copy/paste. I imagine that Adobe exports objects as a PDF, as SVGs or in the case of text on a path properly oriented but as individual outlined letters.

Given what must be great challenges of going from Adobe to Affinity, I am happy for what I do get even though the reorganization task is tedious, but I also wonder if anyone has found ways to make the cumbersome Adobe format come more faithfully into Affinity (where thankfully it is much easier to work with!). In the past I have found that transferring each of my muiiltitute of layers and sub-layers separately sometimes worked, but recently it has not. Is this a new Adobe sabotage or perhaps dependent up many factors not visible to the user? I don't expect any magic solution, but any help would be much appreciated.

PS: Yes, I could copy each text box in the InDesign doc, paste it into APub and reformat it, but that is very time consuming if a more effective way exists.

Edited by Jim Monson
To add a possible but time-consuming possibility.

• Staff

Hi Jim Monson,

Unfortunately there isn't a large amount I can suggest for this, have you tried exporting the documents with large amounts of text to PDF to see if this groups the text into paragraphs when imported?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

5 hours ago, Jim Monson said:

One big problem is that entire paragraphs of text come over a separate lines (multi-lines). I understand why that it is in the transfer process, but I also wonder if Affinity has anyway to bring them into a single paragraph, short of copy/paste.

What is a necessary Adobe format? Save InDesign files as IDML and Illustrator as AI (with PDF stream). When APu opens the IDML the text is grouped like in ID. When you open the AI you have the option "Group lines of text into text frames".

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed