You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make default guide colors

Configurable Bleed and Margin Guide Colours
The colours used for Bleed and Margin guides are configurable by the user and saved with the document.

Thanks for the above new feature. I'd like to see a way to make the color changes the app default, rather than having to change each new document I make. Edit > Defaults > Save doesn't save the color change unfortunately.

I much prefer how InDesign uses a different color for margins and guides.

From one perspective I almost want to agree that this makes more sense as an application setting rather than a document setting...

But then I think that the colors that work well against white paper might not work well against a black background, and making this a document-level setting allows them to be adjusted for documents with different colored backgrounds?

Maybe an application-level setting with an option to override the setting in a given document?

On 10/19/2020 at 6:16 PM, Jeremy Bohn said:

I just thought that since many other settings are made default by using Edit > Defaults so why not the guide colors?

I assume because these Defaults are related to properties of selected layout objects, while guides aren't objects (layers) in Affinity.

Guide colors are rather a matter of the UI than of layout objects, so one could expect them in the app preferences (like the settings for the various UI colors/grays). – But it also makes sense to have guides color (like the document related grid colors) as a document related setting, for instance when working in a document with a specific background color or image (APub) or certain dominant colors in an illustration (AD, APh).

Actually I would expect the new color options to appear in the "Spread Setup..." of existing documents + additionally to occur in the "New..." dialog window. That way it would be easier to start every new document (custom preset) with the same colors without the need to adjust them afterwards AND without unwanted influencing other documents.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

Actually I would expect the new color options to appear in the "Spread Setup..." of existing documents + additionally to occur in the "New..." dialog window. That way it would be easier to start every new document (custom preset) with the same colors without the need to adjust them afterwards AND without unwanted influencing other documents.

Good thoughts, especially that. If the color choices were in the New Document window and they stuck if you changed them, then that would work.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.