You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer (Mac) Not exporting images at the correct pixel sizes

idgaff

Hi,

Operating system Macintosh 10.10.05

Affinity Designer 1.7.1

Affinity Designer is not exporting images like jpeg, png etc, with the pixel dimensions expected. 

After  "Export Persona" an image size of 320x240px (this is the editors reported size)
the outputted file size is 319x240px

This does not happen with all images so it's not consistant.
For comparison, I tried the free software called "Gimp2.10" and no matter what image
is resized in this software, whatever pixel dimensions the editor states the file is, the outputted file size is exactly the same.

So I need to know why "Affinity Designer" is not consistantly outputing the correct 
image pixel size the editor is reporting the image to be ? 

So that my problem may be replicated on another system,
I have assembled a project with three .jpeg images

These images that will not output a 320x240px image size but outputs 319x240px instead.

"Aiffinty Photo" has the same problem.

I use the following process...

First select the image
"copy to clipboard"
"new form clipboard"
resize image to 320x240px
reselect image
"copy to clipboard"
"new form clipboard"
"Export Persona"
select "Slices"
"add new export format"
select format
Export (Save image)

Any questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Regards

Affinity-Designer-Issues.zip

If I follow your recipe* I get the same (319 pixels instead of 240). Here is the But, but it seems to be a very convoluted method. I would simply duplicate the layer and then rename the layer then resize the layer and make a slice from that layer and export that slice (the one from the layer, not the document's original size). If I do that, make a slice from the resized layer I get the proper size 320 pixel dimension. One document which I duplicate and resize then export the layer/image. You can see the original layer behind the duplicate.

This Making a Slice from the layer and exporting will give you the correct size no matter where in the chain of New from Clipboard documents you do it.

Screen_Shot_2020-10-18_at_8_37.57_AM.thumb.png.286f783bbe2990677383a81c50f0afd7.png

* I will admit that I am not entirely certain I am following your recipe because I get lost at the first item "First select the image" I am assuming you mean in Designer I select the layer Background. Then the copy to clipboard and new from ... etc etc seem straight forward. 

In conclusion there seems to be a problem with the New from Clipboard messing with the size. Having said that however, if in Designer I made an artboard using the Artboard Tool and choosing the Document Size then the New from Clipboard copy (this is the one with the Artboard) will export correctly.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, you were following my recipe correctly. You are correct, one is selecting the image in Designer.
That's a very interesting mechanism you have for what I am trying to do.
So I tried your procedure and it worked. 
I also tried it with "New From Clipboard" and that worked flawlessly.

Your explanation was clear and concise.
Thank you vey much for your solution.

Regards

Thanks

You are welcome. Glad we were on the same page, I quite often misinterpret the problem and wind up offering advice that is less than useful.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.