You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Trouble with PNG files with transparent backgrounds

Hi, I've been using Affinity designer for a few weeks so I'm still a bit new to the software; I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm having trouble working with various PNG files with transparent backgrounds in which I can't seem to get the object/image separated from the background, even though there is no background. For example, if I import a simple PNG vector image of a beach ball with a transparent background and I try to apply localized adjustments to the beachball, such as filling in an area with color, or applying a stroke to the outside of the ball, etc., Affinity Designer responds as if the file is one large rectangle, filling in the entire canvas with color - it does not recognize that there is an object on a transparent background. If I open the same file in photoshop and apply the fill color tool to the ball, PS fills in the ball only, recognizing that it's a single object, and leaves the transparent background as is. 

I'm a bit confused on what I'm doing wrong, any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

2 hours ago, Sandman78 said:

any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to the Affinity forums :)

When a PNG file is placed/imported in an Affinity document, it is placed as an Image object which cannot be edited by the pixel editing tools. Apply the Rasterise command to the Image object to convert it to a Pixel object which can be edited by the pixel editing tools. Note that an object's type is stated in parentheses in the Layers panel.