You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Affinity Photo] Moved pixel becomes feathery/smoothed

In Affinity Photo, if I move the pixel, its edge will become smoothed out. (I always draw with brush with 85% hardness above)

Regardless it is select all pixel in a layer then move; or select a portion of a layer with selection tool then move, the hardness of the pixel become very soft.

Is this a feature? Or simply the pixel too low? lol

image.png.94f42b971abc2593faf656c1b3ab4eae.png

This has to do with the copied pixels not lining up to the actual pixel grid in the document. If you check the Transform panel you will most likely see a decimal after the pixel locations for X and Y (you may need to change the document's units to pixels) you can change this by selecting the X value and deleting the decimal portions (easiest way is to put the cursor in the value field/box and then just hit the up arrow on your keyboard, then down again if you want) and repeating for the Y value.

You can turn on the Snapping feature of Move by Whole Pixels and / or Force Pixel Alignment in the toolbar. 

1670522530_ScreenShot2020-10-17at9_57_42AM.png.3679b78c9ac7f1b49b79e11c03a15f08.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

This has to do with the copied pixels not lining up to the actual pixel grid in the document. If you check the Transform panel you will most likely see a decimal after the pixel locations for X and Y (you may need to change the document's units to pixels) you can change this by selecting the X value and deleting the decimal portions (easiest way is to put the cursor in the value field/box and then just hit the up arrow on your keyboard, then down again if you want) and repeating for the Y value.

You can turn on the Snapping feature of Move by Whole Pixels and / or Force Pixel Alignment in the toolbar. 

1670522530_ScreenShot2020-10-17at9_57_42AM.png.3679b78c9ac7f1b49b79e11c03a15f08.png

Nice!

After turn on the force pixel alignment, pixel move nicely 👍

Can I leave this on all the time? What else it will affect?

In Photo it makes a certain amount of sense to leave it on, if however you are designing things that need absolute accuracy with inches/mm/points then turn it off.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.