You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Which application for painting?

So I already use and know affinity photo for my photography work and it really is an amazing tool.  I however am starting to switch directions slightly and am beginning to learn to paint digitally.  I have always wanted to learn to do this for a very long time and feel it will complement my love of photography.

I am however unsure which app is best for this.  Through my research I find nothing about Photo and painting seems Designer is mentioned more but I don’t want vector art.  Also there is Procreate but seems to have some limitations I don’t like I would rather have a feature I never use than not have it if I need it particularly around color correction.

So can anyone familiar with all these apps help me out?

Since you already own a copy of Affinity Photo, why not give it a go? It’s a very capable painting app, in the right hands!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/20/2020 at 1:52 PM, Artsketch said:

Both Affinity Designer and Photo are garbage for painting because their unfixed "blob" bug. Procreate or Adobe Fresco are your choice for smooth painting without blobs.

Yes I noticed this bug when testing makes it unusable for painting/drawing I agree.  Been testing Procreate , Fresco, and Art Studio Pro.  Right now narrowed down to Procreate and Fresco.  Leaning towards procreate as I am not sure I want a subscription and fresco can’t make custom brushes or swatch pallets yet also has no warp or adjustments.  A dream to draw with though so it is a tough choice.

On 10/20/2020 at 6:52 PM, Artsketch said:

Both Affinity Designer and Photo are garbage for painting because their unfixed "blob" bug.

Strange how many people manage to produce such excellent artwork with them if they are "garbage". (See the "Share your work" section!) 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• Staff
On 10/20/2020 at 6:52 PM, Artsketch said:

Both Affinity Designer and Photo are garbage for painting because their unfixed "blob" bug

2 hours ago, Blj said:

Yes I noticed this bug when testing makes it unusable for painting/drawing I agree.

I'd like to update everyone on this issue, as I'm aware there are many users awaiting a fix.

We are internally testing some alternative code where the initial input from the Apple Pencil is adjusted for to accommodate for this problem. If this passes initial testing it should appear in the next customer beta.

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

8 minutes ago, Dan C said:

We are internally testing some alternative code where the initial input from the Apple Pencil is adjusted for to accommodate for this problem. If this passes initial testing it should appear in the next customer beta.

Great news. It was such a waste that the success of this app was limited due to this bug.

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

I'd like to update everyone on this issue, as I'm aware there are many users awaiting a fix.

I hope this helps!

Excellent news thanks.

2 hours ago, PaulEC said:

Strange how many people manage to produce such excellent artwork with them if they are "garbage". (See the "Share your work" section!) 

It is a iPad specific issue making drawing/painting not really possible.  I would assume a majority are desktop users or users not using pressure features on iPad.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Insider said:

Would there be a customer beta this year? Because of this bug I hesitate to buy Affinity apps despite the Black Friday deal.

There already is a 1.9 beta for the iPad Affinity applications. Dan is (I think) referring to the improvement being in the next beta, which should be out relatively soon.

However, the beta version is only available to customers who have purchased the application, so I'm not sure how it would help you with a purchase decision.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I would suggest that you purchase the Black Friday deals, you will then be able to try out the beta versions and get all updates to version 1 of the apps. The betas are free to customers to test and all updates to version 1 are free. (i.e. When version 2 is released, which could be quite a while away, those will have to be paid for.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

I bought Affinity Designer for iPad paying the regular price  2 years ago and it is still useless for drawing. If your intention is drawing, maybe using Photoshop brushes, I would suggest not to buy this app yet. There was enough time for internal testing and releasing as beta, maybe it can’t be fixed?