You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No 'Place Image Tool' in Windows?

I wanted to place/align/edit 33 images for a short video segment. I found reference to a 'Place Image Tool' to do place multiple images, but it doesn't appear on among the tools on my system. Is this a Mac only thing, and, if so, when is going to be included in the Win version?

I am going to guess you are using Photo because the place image tool is available in both Designer and Publisher.

642516249_ScreenShot2020-10-16at10_24_13AM.png.a1fb309363af1e370ac68e5653fd64f2.png 

Looks like a little picture.

You can use the command in the menu File > Place... to choose your photos and place them if you are using Photo.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, daibhidh said:

Thanks for the reply, Bruce, but File > Place only adds one file at a time. 'Place Image Tool' supposedly can add all 33 in one fell swoop. I wonder why that tool is missing from Photo for Windows.

Not true, just multi-select all the images you want to place. Granted, you can only place one at time in your document, ie; drawing out 33 times. But you can load up the Place command with numerous images.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

2 hours ago, Ron P. said:

Not true, just multi-select all the images you want to place. Granted, you can only place one at time in your document, ie; drawing out 33 times. But you can load up the Place command with numerous images.

And that's exactly what you would need to do if you used the Place Image Tool rather than File > Place. The capabilities are identical, it's only the interface to access the system's file manager dialog that differs.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ah, I see...I just have to keep clicking. I obviously didn't read the help file carefully enough, or maybe it's time to get cataract surgery.

The images in this case were frames from a shaky hand-held video. I needed to align the backgrounds to mask a sequence of a walking cow for another video. I didn't see an option to align the images based on areas of the image, so did this manually--a real pain, but it all worked out.

Anyway, I'm edified and sure this will be a time saver in the future. Thanks much to all for taking the time to straighten me out!