You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer crashing when using node selection tool

Since there is no tracing option for Affinity Designer yet, I usually use the vector brush tool to trace the outline of a drawing to get the shape. But I don't usually get this accomplished in one continuous line. Therefore, I have to use the node selection tool (white arrow) to join the pathway segments together. 

As I was attempting to do so on my iPad Pro, my vector pathway would start accumulating quite a bit of nodes. Eventually, it would no longer allow me to join another curve pathway without crashing. 

When I reopen the file, it was a version of the file that was at least 2 saves back from my recent saved version.

However, when I open the file and try the same process on the macOS version, everything works fine. I am able to join more curves and save the file as expected.

I can only assume this is either a bug with iOS 14 and Affinity Designer or it is a deliberate hampering of the computing power of the iPad Pro by Affinity. 

Has any one else experienced this issue? I am running the latest version of iPadOS 14.0.1 and the latest version of Affinity Designer on both operating systems.

• 1 month later...

Yes, I’m having the exact same problem. I’m drawing topo lines and can’t draw the paths in one continuous line. So when I select two paths and try to join them the app crashes and I lose significant work. I’ve tried clearing the history, saving much more often, rebooting my ipad, and deleting the app then reinstalling. Nothing seems to work.

Ipad 2nd Generation, Apple Pencil 1st Generation, IpadOS 14.2, Affinity Designer 1.8.6

• 8 months later...

It's nine months later. I sent crash reports to the administrators and was told "the crash reports don't show any useful information to narrow down the cause." So I've been working with the program as best I can. I bought a new Ipad pro today and had the exact same problem. Very frustrated and not sure what to do.