You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Square pattern on the strokes

Hello, I wanted to ask if the pattern of squares seen in these images is normal. I understand that the pixels are seen with zoom because it was chosen not to smooth by design, but this pattern is not pixels, the image is 2560 * 1440 and the zoom is at 112%. When you open a finished image or photo this cannot be appreciated, but when you are painting strokes the pattern is very noticeable and not very convenient.. Thank you for your attention and best regards.

Affinity_pixels_2.png

Affinity pixels.png

@Pluscuamperfecto,

Click on the More button to open the Brush Editing  dialog. What is the spacing set to? Looking at your screenshots, the default for that Basic Brush 128 is 25%. Move the slider for Spacing to the left to decrease the spacing. Also check the shape settings. My attached screenshot shows the default for that brush.

brushspace.jpg

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

1 hour ago, Ron P. said:

@Pluscuamperfecto,

Click on the More button to open the Brush Editing  dialog. What is the spacing set to? Looking at your screenshots, the default for that Basic Brush 128 is 25%. Move the slider for Spacing to the left to decrease the spacing. Also check the shape settings. My attached screenshot shows the default for that brush.

brushspace.jpg

The problem is unrelated to brushes. The grid pattern is a display artefact in a zoomed view of the document.

16 hours ago, Pluscuamperfecto said:

No, they are the basic brushes, in the hard ones it is noticeable in the edges, in the intermediate ones or soft in the gradients. It does not occur at all zoom levels, only at some (almost half).  I attach the three types.

pattern_squares.png

Maybe the display artefact is a result of the new compute acceleration of the beta. Try comparing OpenCL compute acceleration enabled versus disabled (the switch is at bottom of Performance section of the app preferences). Relaunch the app after toggling OpenCL.

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

It just looks like the gradient from the brush feathering out over the pixels.

No way!

1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I'm not sure if this is wrong?

There is something very wrong in Pluscuamperfecto's screenshots. There is a distinct 11.65 x 11.65 pixels grid pattern in the first example of a document at 112.2% zoom. Looks like poor resampling of the document to produce the zoomed view. Here is an enlargement:

gridded.thumb.png.4ce76215f3c4174799fb9d3401739713.png

• Staff

I see this 'grid' on Windows at 1440p but not on my Mac on a retina display. 

However, @Pluscuamperfecto your screenshot and video looks worse than mine, almost like it's smudged. I'm not sure if it's the compression or something else. What display scale do you have your Windows set to?

• Staff

Yes I thought that might be the case. Obviously the more pixels packed into the same physical space would look better but I also see the grid on Windows. 

I might be mistaken but I believe anon2 is on macOS where the issue isn't present and that's why he correctly identified an issue with your screenshots. On further investigation, it looks like we might we might not be displaying enough data in each tile. 

I have logged this with the developers.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.