You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Upgrade or update problem

I recently noticed that my Affinity is only running 1.7.3. and so I had thought it was possible to download the latest version, however, somehow I've found no possibility to do that. I've been in touch with you (Affinity) via Twitter and was told to sign into my account and try to download from the downloads and product key section. However, when I tried to log into (what I thought was) my account, it seems it didn't exist. This is rather odd as I bought Affinity from the site back in 2018 in a summer sale - if I remember correctly - and as you know, when you buy Affinity, it makes an account for you, where your product key is kept. 

So, my question. Is it possible that as I bought my copy of Affinity back in 2018 (July or August), that I am no longer covered for an update, and so will have to buy a new version of Affinity if I wish to get the updates etc? Or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance - joesh

downloads and product keys section.downloads and product keys section. 

• Staff

Hi Joesh,

As wonderings mentioned, this is not possible and if you bought one of our apps directly from our site then you will be eligible for the free upgrade (you wouldn't even need to sign in, apps bought through our site would tell you there is an update available on startup)

I have checked our Store database and there are no users with an account using the email address you used to create your forum account. I assumed that the first part of your email address is your first and last name, and I was able to find someone in our database that uses that name, however the only "order" on the account was an Affinity Photo trial applied to the account today.

My instinct based on my experience of such situations is that you most likely bought our app from the Mac App Store and not our site, but if you would like to contact affinity@serif.com with as much info about the order as you can (ideally an Order Number) we can look in to this a bit further for you and figure out exactly what you need to do to update your app.

Any spelling or grammatical errors found in the above post are deliberate and included to boost the self-esteem of those who spot them.

30 minutes ago, StevenS said:

Hi Joesh,

As wonderings mentioned, this is not possible and if you bought one of our apps directly from our site then you will be eligible for the free upgrade (you wouldn't even need to sign in, apps bought through our site would tell you there is an update available on startup)

I have checked our Store database and there are no users with an account using the email address you used to create your forum account. I assumed that the first part of your email address is your first and last name, and I was able to find someone in our database that uses that name, however the only "order" on the account was an Affinity Photo trial applied to the account today.

My instinct based on my experience of such situations is that you most likely bought our app from the Mac App Store and not our site, but if you would like to contact affinity@serif.com with as much info about the order as you can (ideally an Order Number) we can look in to this a bit further for you and figure out exactly what you need to do to update your app.

Is there a way to add a panel that shows details of the app, ie version and other things as well as the account it is registered to? This may help people in the future who have email accounts that change.

Thanks for your help.

I guess there's not much that I can do. Firstly, I can't find any trace of my purchase, which seems odd, but it happens. There's no email (that I can find), yet I bought Affinity (around July/August 2018) in a special offer - which might jog your memories about when that could have been. I'm going to see if I can find a trace in my credit cards, but I'll do that this weekend when I have some time.

As for the rest, I wonder if there's something in my copy of Affinity that would prove it's a bought version (the activation key), that I could send you/Affinity, as an example, a file which I could find on my computer? 

Lastly, what's most odd is that I bought this (as I said) in 2018, which means since I'm on 1.7.3 now, I must have had a few updates/upgrades since 2018? I seem to remember just downloading the most recent versions from time-to-time (after having a reminder via the app), but since I've had nothing recently I ended up here.

BTW, the reason you see I've downloaded a 'trial version' is that I thought that maybe it might somehow work as an update.  

Thanks again. 

p.s. What would have been the version that I could have bought back in the summer of 2018? Could that version be to old to receive a free upgrade?

9 minutes ago, Joesh said:

p.s. What would have been the version that I could have bought back in the summer of 2018? Could that version be to old to receive a free upgrade?

Updates are free for all of version 1.x. And 1.7.3 came out in September of 2019, by the way.

Did you check the Mac App Store to see if you purchased it from there? If you're on a Mac and you purchased from Serif directly then in the application main menu you will have a "Check for Updates" action. If you don't have that, and you're on a Mac, then that's another indication that you did not buy directly from Serif.

Did you email affinity@serif.com as StevenS requested?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, Joesh said:

As you suggested it was bought through Apple.

If you bought it through the Mac App Store (MAS) you need to get any updates from there, too. Sign in to the MAS with the Apple ID that you used to make the original purchase, and then look for the product on the ‘Purchased’ tab.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thanks so much, I'm sorry to have made everyone run around (with their fingers). I've just downloaded the new 1.8.4 version via the MAS, which also explains a mystery, as I rarely buy anything from MAS, and prefer if possible to buy direct from the original site's web page(s), hence the confusion on my side. 

So, as the saying goes, all's well that ends well. 

Thanks again.

BTW, I should be able to continue upgrading until which version? (Just so I know when to come back to the Affinity site to buy the next version).

7 minutes ago, Joesh said:

BTW, I should be able to continue upgrading until which version?

Until 2.0, if/whenever that is released.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1