You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Boolean Operations Divide.

Hi all,
I know, it is nervy for you but what happens in the case of Boolean Operations Divide?
Since years this issue is standing and nothing happens in this case.

Please understand me right, i like the software, i like it very much to work with it and i like the new additions with hardware accelaration and the other improvments but in my opinion it is a NoGo for such a software that it needs for so long to improve or to fix this function which every graphic worker needs to create own shapes. And it can not be a solution to say "use an other software for this". I have read this in other threads.
An ohter thread in Mac Beta Forum, to see here:

is standig since 1. October without an answer. Is this issue be ignored in the meantime or is there a fix in the near future?

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

But divide is implemented how you always dreamed?

image.png.8c74f50b4667e25ffa94bc6dbb71765d.png

In this workhorse:

Køb Cloudberry Castle Gyngehest Blå | Jollyroom

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

@Jowday

I like the Software, no Question, and i like it t work with it but the result of divide is more a nightmare than a dream.
Please try it with more than one overlapping Object. In my example there are 6 Circles which are overlapping at different Points and then have a look to top left how many Objects there are after divide. If i count right, there have to be 34 Objects, not more.
That is what i mean. If there are more overlapping Objects, this operation goes crazy.

I and much other Users often posted Videos and images for example and nothing happens.

506760494_ScreenShot.thumb.jpg.98601dd3ef9526399e04029d58df7d9b.jpg

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

I know it is a nightmare, @Uwe367, it was a joke 🙂

I gave up using Designer for most uses; mostly because of missing features but even the more basic work I tried to finish was sabotaged by the faulty divide.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

28 minutes ago, ELinder said:

No response here either? I fear the fix for this is such a major boolean re-write that they're pushing off a fix until they go to version 2 of the program.

Erich

The devs have said that they want to fix it, but for whatever reason something is hindering them from fixing it. Either it's too complicated to get solved in a short time frame or they don't know how yet.

I agree about it needing to be a high priority bug fix, though. They fixed some bugs with other booleans in 1.8, so not having Divide fixed yet feels pretty bad.

Let Serif do the explaining. 

I suppose that it isn't simple matter of iterating through every possible combination of paired objects if the 2+ at the same time can cause the issue to appear

like: a-b, a-c, b-c, and then check for collision between the output and iterate from there.. 

Anyways, we got Contour which is awesome addition and big thanks to the dev team for adding that, but i'd also like to know any info regarding the boolean bugs.

Best,

V

Let Serif do the explaining. 

16 hours ago, Jonopen said:

Here's another observation in Beta 1.9.0.820 relating to the divide option demonstrating it's not working quite right!

divide.png

divide.afdesign

The ellipses are not quite lined up correctly. The edges are not quite on the centres.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

16 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

The ellipses are not quite lined up correctly. The edges are not quite on the centres.

Are you saying the centres have to be aligned for divide to work properly? 😉

I think understand what you are saying as an explanation why the missing object is in a different position, but what I'm saying is the object should not be missing in the first place!

I've tried a similar divide exercise in two other graphics programs and do not get this happening either when the ellipses are aligned or not.

This is the kind of thing I would expect to end up with when I drag the divided shapes apart:

divide-illustrator.png

v2.4.0 Designer/Photo/Publisher | Mac mini (M1, 2020) | Sonoma 14.3.1

• 2 years later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.