You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.9.0.801 (was 798)

• Staff

Purpose: Stability and General Testing
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Mac App Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Available

---

We have withdrawn Build 798 and replaced it with Build 801 to address the issue with the Data Merge Manager reported below. If you are running Build 798 we suggest you update when it is convenient.

---

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.801 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

Fixes and Improvements

Fixed broken macOS front end

PDF Passthrough status was not being saved correctly
Prevent flowing text from a pinned frame to the node it is pinned to
Fix for slow text input with Hyperlink panel showing
Fixed Resource Manager update issue
Fixed Preferences > Abbreviations issue with extended characters
When creating a global colour from an object also apply it
Added top level Menu entry for 'Edit Detached'
Anchors created from detached frames are not shown correctly
Fixed possible crash when with "Include hyperlinks" in the export dialog
Updated Preflight check and PDF Passthrough messages
Crash exporting specific PDF with passthrough
Placing a PSD causes a Placed PDF is missing or broken preflight message

---

Release notes for 1.9.0.796

Release Notes for 1.9.0.742

---

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

Good to see with PDF passthrough, generating pdf/x files no longer bombs Pub, although it still doesn't passthrough even on PDF/X 4 but works using PDF(for print) (not had chance to test other non X formats) although all my print service providers need PDF/x 

Data Merge is now broke with this build with the data merge manager no longer able to import or create new, and opening an existing data merge template (that worked really well by the way in previous build) either bombs pub (when other pub docs are open) or shows no info in the data merge manager panel (when opening on re-start)

Attached crash log:

Screen Grab 2020-10-15 at 09.02.01.png

Affinity Publisher Beta_2020-10-15-091519_DazMacPro.crash

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Forgot to mention above, clicking on the new icon in the bottom left of the data merge manager panel does nothing -

Tried resetting and still not working

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 hours ago, AdamW said:

When creating a global colour from an object also apply it

YES!

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

I had a chance to redo my Studio arrangement in this replacement build, on my main Catalina volume, and it looks like they stuck and everything's more stable now even after multiple restarts and a lot of floating panel dragging and docking. Thank you for the quick turnaround!

On 10/15/2020 at 7:58 AM, AdamW said:

We have withdrawn Build 798 and replaced it with Build 801 to address the issue with the Data Merge Manager reported below. If you are running Build 798 we suggest you update when it is convenient.

AWESOME stuff Adam - ran test on business cards and works perfectly - although I'm having problems generating from a database that's setup to use FX on the text - is this a current limitation - see screen grab:

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

33 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

although I'm having problems generating from a database that's setup to use FX on the text

Hi Dazmondo, it is because of the grouping, I have noticed that if the Data Node Tool is in a group the merge doesn't work properly

2 minutes ago, Murfee said:

Hi Dazmondo, it is because of the grouping, I have noticed that if the Data Node Tool is in a group the merge doesn't work properly

Thanks for the tip Murfee I'll take a look

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Thanks for the tip Murfee I'll take a look

It seems to be the fields in a group, I did some work last week then grouped things...when I ran the merge today it didn't work, took a couple of attempts and a bit of head scratching to work it out 😀

Brilliant stuff Murfee - Works like a treat - Have to remember that one "DO NOT PLACE DATA MERGE NODE IN GROUP" lesson learned

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

19 minutes ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Have to remember that one "DO NOT PLACE DATA MERGE NODE IN GROUP" lesson learned

It works fine in the main document if things are grouped and like you showed if you advance the records it is fine, a bit of a tweak on the generate code should allow it to work properly. Hopefully one of the Devs will pick up on this.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:13 PM, Jon P said:

@Dazmondo77 Do you mind uploading the file used in your video here. I'd like to just check a couple of things!

Thanks

Hi Jon - do you want me to go back to placing the data merge node inside a group (so it can't generate properly)?  

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

On 10/20/2020 at 12:13 PM, Jon P said:

@Dazmondo77 Do you mind uploading the file used in your video here. I'd like to just check a couple of things!

Thanks

Forgive me for being a little sensitive over this job - Maybe 15 years ago I was freelancing for a local digital print company and the studio manager showed me a hugely expensive software package that did a similar thing as this file, to which I replied 'why don't you just do it in InDesign' to which he laughed as they used to run all their variable data jobs through word?!?!? with loads of bother, he told me bluntly 'InDesign doesn't have a data merge capability' and marched off - so I came up with something similar to the Chocolate heart job to demonstrate my idea and how InDesign could meet their needs and how you could use FX on text to create personalised output - he couldn't believe it when I ran a test job through to their Xerox iGen press and it all worked - he trotted off to tell the boss the good news - soon enough the boss was down in the studio excitedly flapping around telling everyone we should feel privileged to work along side a total genius, yes the studio manager took all the credit - 

At the time I was made to feel like this was a big deal although there where probably loads of people who had a similar idea and maybe its a standard way of doing this type of work, I don't know? but back then I felt pretty down about having nothing to show for it other than £8 per hour for two days work  - so naturally, I feel a little protective of this job even though this technique is probably a standard now.

Sorry for the waffle, just needed to get that off my chest, SWEET THERAPY!  

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff

Hi Jon - do you want me to go back to placing the data merge node inside a group (so it can't generate properly)?  

If you could, i'm fairly certain this should be fixed when we release the next beta, but if you send the file I'll be able to double check.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com