You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.9.0.4)

• Staff

Purpose: Features, Improvements, Fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not submitted

Download: Download

Auto-update: Not available

Hello,

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significantly different from the 1.8.x version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Designer.

Thanks again for your continued support!

Many thanks!

Matt

Changes this time

- Fix terribly, terribly broken front-end that appeared in build 1.9.0.3. It created many problems! Sorry about that... :(

Changes Since 1.9.0

- Fix for Select Same and Select Object when they encounter text objects
- Enable image placement options in Designer (you can now choose Linked or Embedded) and also Resource Manager (from the View menu)
- Added option for Designer to be able to show/hide overflow text - particularly useful for text on a path
- Application icon updated to fit the 'Big Sur' visual style, also document icons updated. Misc other Big Sur fixes.
- Fix for terrible rendering problems - particularly affected cropped items with layer effects applied
- Added ability to rotate canvas if you have a scroll wheel mouse (or two-finger vertical drag on your touchpad) if you hold down Command. This will rotate around the mouse cursor location. Holding down Shift in addition to Command while scrolling will rotate around the centre of the view.
- Contour tool.
- Select Same / Select Object functionality. I'm happy to consider requests for extra options, so if you have a favourite, just say...
- Improved performance with large documents. I will aim to improve this further over time.
- Added a new “Divide” blend mode.
- Allowed snapping to the bounds of the pixel selection.

To be notified about all future Mac beta updates, please follow this beta notification thread 
To be notified when this update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Affinity Designer customers, please follow this release notification thread

42 minutes ago, dcarvalho84 said:

still can't see the bleed in a document with artboards.

If they didn't say it was fixed then it probably wasn't.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If they didn't say it was fixed then it probably wasn't.

I'm almost sure it was working on 1.9.0.2 that's why i'm talking about it, and it is not the first time that you crash with me because you like to meddle in what does not concern you.

For me is enough. I'm just here to help find things and make the app better, but not this way. This is my last post here in beta forums. Sorry.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

@postmadesign,
What problems with raster brushes? The rendering of brushes in the Brushes panel in Affinity Designer should be fixed too if that's the one you are referring to (the fix wasn't included in the current Beta of Photo 1.9.0.199).

The brushes render correctly in the panel, but don't behave as they do in the MAs version. It reacts completely different to pressure in some of the brushes, not creating a gradual buildup with more pressure, but rather an on/off thing. I know this is not a place for bugs, but I created a thread about this two betas ago, and although things have changed, the brushes still don't work like they should. See attached to know what I mean.

The bleed shows up here on Mac OS 10.1.4.6. With or without Arboards, do you have View > Show Bleed checked? I ask because defaults can get changed with different builds.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• Staff
14 hours ago, postmadesign said:

The brushes render correctly in the panel, but don't behave as they do in the MAs version. It reacts completely different to pressure in some of the brushes, not creating a gradual buildup with more pressure, but rather an on/off thing. I know this is not a place for bugs, but I created a thread about this two betas ago, and although things have changed, the brushes still don't work like they should. See attached to know what I mean

This might be a crazy question, but is it possible you've played with the pressure mapping for either Affinity Designer retail or Beta in the Wacom drivers? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any changes to the pressure input at all and this looks like the ramp is acting differently? :)

1 hour ago, MattP said:

This might be a crazy question, but is it possible you've played with the pressure mapping for either Affinity Designer retail or Beta in the Wacom drivers? Off the top of my head, I can't think of any changes to the pressure input at all and this looks like the ramp is acting differently? :)

No, both are set up very much the same...

Schermafbeelding 2020-10-15 om 11.25.29.png

Schermafbeelding 2020-10-15 om 11.25.18.png

• Staff

Thanks postmadesign,

It looks like this issue is slightly different to the one I thought it was - from what I can see its being caused by Accumulation/Flow values of less than 100% not displaying whilst using the Pixel Brush Tool. All those brushes are set to use the Pixel Brush, so when pressure isn't 100% the flow/accumulation is causing the brush to not draw like previous. 

49 minutes ago, Sean P said:

It looks like this issue is slightly different to the one I thought it was - from what I can see its being caused by Accumulation/Flow values of less than 100% not displaying whilst using the Pixel Brush Tool. All those brushes are set to use the Pixel Brush, so when pressure isn't 100% the flow/accumulation isn't causing the brush to not draw like previous. 

That might be the cause. I tested some regular paint brushes, and these seem to behave normally.

On 10/14/2020 at 4:43 PM, dcarvalho84 said:

I'm almost sure it was working on 1.9.0.2 that's why i'm talking about it, and it is not the first time that you crash with me because you like to meddle in what does not concern you.

For me is enough. I'm just here to help find things and make the app better, but not this way. This is my last post here in beta forums. Sorry.

@dcarvalho84 Seriously, I'm the last to be critical of other users in this forum, but please, just grow up, the bleed in a document with artboards is working perfectly in the latest Beta so please don't criticise when someone is trying to:

a) be helpful and

b) you've not bothered or taken the time to do something correctly

I see this, 'I'm superior to you' or 'I know more than you do' attitude in so many forums and it really 'frustrates me' (to be polite). @walt.farrell was and always is trying to be helpful to others so please don't throw your toys out of the pram when you've failed to do something as simple as make sure the View > Show Bleed is checked as @Old Bruce pointed out!

Anyways, off my soap box now, some people need to 'learn' (sadly), as it should come naturally, to be kinder to others, it would seriously make the world a much better place than it is currently... 😀

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

20 minutes ago, Hangman said:

@dcarvalho84 Seriously, I'm the last to be critical of other users in this forum, but please, just grow up, the bleed in a document with artboards is working perfectly in the latest Beta so please don't criticise when someone is trying to:

a) be helpful and

b) you've not bothered or taken the time to do something correctly

I see this, 'I'm superior to you' or 'I know more than you do' attitude in so many forums and it really 'frustrates me' (to be polite). @walt.farrell was and always is trying to be helpful to others so please don't throw your toys out of the pram when you've failed to do something as simple as make sure the View > Show Bleed is checked as @Old Bruce pointed out!

Anyways, off my soap box now, some people need to 'learn' (sadly), as it should come naturally, to be kinder to others, it would seriously make the world a much better place than it is currently... 😀

I will just reply to you (and i'm opening an exception) to tell you that i really know where view-> show bleed is and what is it for but that is not my problem, if it's working for you fine. For me this is a closed case and i will not reply anymore regarding this.

Which is absolutely fine... my suggestion if you are having this problem would be to post it as a bug report along with a video demonstrating the problem so the support team can provide help, afterall that is what they are there for, to help.

It is clearly working for some people, myself included, but if it isn't for yourself or others then the most helpful thing would be to provide a screen recording demonstrating the issue and showing how it isn't working for you on your setup so the problem can be addressed rather than saying 'For me this is a closed case and I will not reply anymore regarding this', that helps nobody.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

Guys, just a quick question: what's up with zoom scaling? A new A4 document is displayed differently – and inaccurately – at 100% zoom in this beta…

In the MAS version of AD, 100% matches the real physical size of an A4 sheet of paper:

1034681682_Capturadeecr2020-10-15s22_45_39.thumb.png.7d6bde85908414710549fe07346d4335.png

Whereas in this beta, it's visibly smaller:

2128773840_Capturadeecr2020-10-15s22_48_26.thumb.png.721a407a2f43afe59352b0696be0fcbf.png

Any thoughts? I've fidgeted with all sorts of settings, and I can't seem to find what's wrong here.

Everything seems to be ok. Great !

- Enable image placement options in Designer (you can now choose Linked or Embedded) and also Resource Manager (from the View menu) > very useful option
- Added option for Designer to be able to show/hide overflow text - particularly useful for text on a path > How can you do that ? Have you a short video about it ?

• Staff
14 minutes ago, lenogre said:

Everything seems to be ok. Great !

- Enable image placement options in Designer (you can now choose Linked or Embedded) and also Resource Manager (from the View menu) > very useful option

Please note I've found an issue where the label in Document Setup reports you as having the other option selected - this label is incorrect and with development to be fixed.

14 minutes ago, lenogre said:

- Added option for Designer to be able to show/hide overflow text - particularly useful for text on a path > How can you do that ? Have you a short video about it ?

Nothing major but I've just made a quick video that demonstrates this. If your handles don't allow enough room for the text then the eye-con (;)) appears to control the visibility of the overflow. 

I just noticed a new feature that haven't seen mentioned.  When working with a line with only one dimension the anchor point display now is more realistic.  Good work.  And it switches so when in the node tool even if it's not 2 dimension, if there are only 2 nodes the anchor points show this.  And we can now rotate the nodes while in the node tool.  Cool!

1800282333_ScreenShot2020-10-18at6_56_07AM.png.bb399fffe43d59c39bcfaa6f8638d3ca.png

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

On 10/14/2020 at 5:22 AM, MattP said:

- Contour tool.

Just playing with the contour tool. Very interesting. I'm thinking of ways I could use it. In the meantime, I noticed a couple fo things:

- If my document is in inches, and I change it to something else, the Radius box stays with inches. This happens with any measurement unit change. The Radius box won't change units until you pick another tool and then reselect the Contour tool.

- I'm not sure about the button named "Bake Appearance". I wasn't sure what it did until I clicked it. I certainly would never call it that, since we're not cooking here. What about Expand Appearance, which is what Illustrator would call it?

• Staff
5 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Just playing with the contour tool. Very interesting. I'm thinking of ways I could use it. In the meantime, I noticed a couple fo things:

- If my document is in inches, and I change it to something else, the Radius box stays with inches. This happens with any measurement unit change. The Radius box won't change units until you pick another tool and then reselect the Contour tool.

This is something I've already picked up on and reported to development, but thanks for letting us know.

5 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

- I'm not sure about the button named "Bake Appearance". I wasn't sure what it did until I clicked it. I certainly would never call it that, since we're not cooking here. What about Expand Appearance, which is what Illustrator would call it?

This has been covered earlier in the beta but the Corner Tool also uses this wording and we've never had any issues crop up from it.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.