You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.9.0.4)

6 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Expand Appearance

In what way would that function actually "expand" the appearance?  The appearance is not changing - it is not getting larger, for example.

6 hours ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

Bake Appearance

Should probably be thought of as shorthand for "bake in appearance"...  you are taking the appearance resulting from the tool and making it part of the underlying curve of the object.

I personally think the terminology Serif is using for that makes a lot more sense than what Adobe is using.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

I personally think the terminology Serif is using for that makes a lot more sense than what Adobe is using.

I'd be happy with just the one word "Bake". Anybody unsure of what it will do can read the Help if they are afraid to click the button. (It currently just invokes the Convert To Curves command.)

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Bake Appearance

I like Bake Appearance

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

To have something "baked in" means that it's built-in. In a sense, it means to include, but the nuance is that it means it's something integral that you've considered from the start, not something you've added afterwards. (I didn't make this up, I looked it up to verify.)

Maybe it has a slightly different meaning in different parts of the world but to me, since the contour is an effect you add on to an object afterwards, it literally can't be baked in.

Instead of "Expand Appearance" it could be outline or flatten.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Bohn said:

the contour is an effect you add on to an object afterwards, it literally can't be baked in.

You actually just explained why this works yourself 🙂

When initially created using the contour tool it is exactly that - something added to the object.

Baking it in means that the object is reshaped such that the contour is no longer "added on" but is an integral part of the shape, having been baked into the curve.

2 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Baking it in means that the object is reshaped such that the contour is no longer "added on" but is an integral part of the shape, having been baked into the curve.

Good idea, change the button to say Integrate!

Sorry, but baked in is just wrong. Definition arguments aside, the phrase itself it marketing lingo and has no relation to design language. As a professional designer, it comes across as out of place or foreign. I know they'll never change it, just like many other things about the apps I disagree with, so I'll leave it at that.

On 10/14/2020 at 1:22 PM, MattP said:

- Added ability to rotate canvas if you have a scroll wheel mouse (or two-finger vertical drag on your touchpad) if you hold down Command. This will rotate around the mouse cursor location. Holding down Shift in addition to Command while scrolling will rotate around the centre of the view.

Brilliant feature but I'm struggling a little as it seems way to easy to rotate by accident at present with an apple magic mouse, although I have a shortcut in place to reset rotation. what would be even better was if we had the ability to change or add to the shortcut, for me personally I'd prob go for CTRL, CMD and mouse scroll 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Brilliant feature but I'm struggling a little as it seems way to easy to rotate by accident at present with an apple magic mouse, although I have a shortcut in place to reset rotation. what would be even better was if we had the ability to change or add to the shortcut, for me personally I'd prob go for CTRL, CMD and mouse scroll 

I'm running into the same problem.  To zoom I use an opt + drag.  Every so often I hit cmd + drag.  I don't have a shortcut set to reset position.  With a 27" monitor I don't see much use for the rotate function.  I'd like to be able to turn off this function in preferences.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

I personally think the ability to rotate the canvas with the scroll wheel whilst holding down the cmd key is a brilliant addition, particiuarly using a magic mouse. I've simply set 'R' to be the 'Reset Rotation' keyboard shortcut.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1.2344 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1.2344
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.6.8, Magic Mouse

32 minutes ago, Hangman said:

I personally think the ability to rotate the canvas with the scroll wheel whilst holding down the cmd key is a brilliant addition, particiuarly using a magic mouse. I've simply set 'R' to be the 'Reset Rotation' keyboard shortcut.

In my opinion, for a tablet definitely, a laptop maybe, for a large monitor on a desk I don't see any use at all.  Or, maybe you are seeing a use I haven't considered yet.  I'd like to hear it if you do, it might come in handy for me then too.

• Staff
11 hours ago, Gear maker said:

I'm running into the same problem.  To zoom I use an opt + drag.  Every so often I hit cmd + drag.  I don't have a shortcut set to reset position.  With a 27" monitor I don't see much use for the rotate function.  I'd like to be able to turn off this function in preferences.

13 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Ideally I would personally like the ability to be able to lock the canvas rotation - its an option on the iPad! This kept happening to me a while back and become increasingly irritating every time I accidentally rotated.

11 hours ago, Gear maker said:

Don't get me wrong, I love the feature and how it works along with a magic mouse but my natural left hand position is to sit over CTRL, Alt, CMD from years of shortcuts and now I've tried and used it, just like ALT scrolling for zoom and free scrolling on the magic mouse, if you take it away or you need to use another mouse, it's annoying when its not available - I think maybe I'll get used to it, I'm feeling much happier using it now my reset rotation shortcut is set to CMD, ~ (which is a repeated shortcut for 'switch to next view' which does exactly the same as CTRL ⇥ minus the ability to add ⇧ to go back) 👍

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

• Staff
9 minutes ago, lenogre said:

The menu is too large for my screen (1920x1200)…

Double arrow in the right (verrouiller les enfants / lock children)

barre menu.jpg

Hi Lenogre,

Unfortunately there isn't too much that can be done as far as I know, due to the length of the translated strings.

This isn't only caused by translation.
It also concerns the English texts.

Some of them could well be abbreviated without losing their meaning.
Even on a 27" monitor I have to remove all the spaces to have the tools I want at my disposal in the top toolbar.

I've posted feature request for a multiple-row toolbar years ago.
Unfortunately nothing has come of it.
Until now .....?????....

4 hours ago, GokhanEser said:

Can I add a different shortcut for Canvas Rotation?

This feature caused trouble when using the designer. I click involuntarily and the canvas rotates.

From what I see it's hard coded in, so can't be changed by us.  The best you can do is to add a keystroke to Reset the Rotation.  It bit me 3 times so far today before I finally added shift control option command R.  I'll never forget it because it's holding everything down with R for reset and it was available.

9 hours ago, Gear maker said:

From what I see it's hard coded in, so can't be changed by us.  The best you can do is to add a keystroke to Reset the Rotation.  It bit me 3 times so far today before I finally added shift control option command R.  I'll never forget it because it's holding everything down with R for reset and it was available.

Thank you! This is a highly annoying problem. The magic mouse is very sensitive, and I cannot avoid this problem.

I understand, it's my left finger that is my culprit.  It hits the cmd key when opt is wanted.😁   I gave up on my magic mouse, my cursor would always move when I tried to click.  Great design for text but had problems with drawing.  Good luck.

On 10/14/2020 at 8:22 AM, MattP said:

- Select Same / Select Object functionality. I'm happy to consider requests for extra options, so if you have a favourite, just say...

Which feature is this? Is this referring to the selection bounding box options?

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

2 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Which feature is this? Is this referring to the selection bounding box options?

image.png.d2371842938a42af85290d866f81dfdd.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.