You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Data merge initial thoughts (split)

Have a look at the Fields panel. Mark your text where your data should go and double-click the appropriate field in the Fields panel. For better visualization Menu -> Text -> Highlight Fields.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff

@MickRose

I think this question should be in the beta forum, but....

I have used Text > Insert > Field > More... and inserted the xlsx column titles using double click from the list (like other Fields can be added in text).

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I briefly checked it out and was left scratching my head. I am sure it will make more sense when I actually research how it works in Publisher. It was not clear or evident though as I thought it should be when looking at it. I am not new to this so thought I could/should be able to figure it out quickly. I tried loading a csv file with a little over 9000 records. It did not show me the fields available for merge. I thought maybe I need to hit generate to bring that up. Well that was not the right move, took ages for it to go through the data and was left with a large publisher file with I am assuming 9000+ pages. Again going in completely blind so it may work well once I understand Affinities method, but it certainly did not stand out obviously.

• Staff

@wonderings & @MickRose

I think leaving this in that old feature request thread was going to lead to lots more posts in the wrong place, so I have put your posts here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

14 minutes ago, undercovergypsy said:

in my software on Windows 10 it does not have typical field choices or database selection.

You set up the data connection in the Data Merge Manager:

data-merge-manager.jpg.f3d0fe429b14cd83e9d91334f964a6b4.jpg

Fields are inserted from 'View > Studio > Fields'

data-merge-fields.jpg.7dd04f9888fedc7c96bfb52a76d3a223.jpg

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

Working great for me for 8up business cards - made a template - tested - NICE!

Screen Grab 2020-10-14 at 17.21.24.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.