You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Data Merge: Image resource paths. Howto?

- Fields that represent image resource paths can be applied to Picture Frames

I have a image resource path, where all my images are located, but how to apply this field to a picture frame? Double-clicking on the field name while having the picture frame selected does nothing. Unfortunately there is nothing in the help files. Any hint for me?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

45 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

I have a image resource path, where all my images are located, but how to apply this field to a picture frame? Double-clicking on the field name while having the picture frame selected does nothing. Unfortunately there is nothing in the help files. Any hint for me?

Hi @Joachim_L,

thanks for posting this. I was just about to ask the same question. So, this is basically just a confirmation that either something is not working or we need a little more detailed explanation on how this is supposed to work.

Apart from that many thanks to the team for the recent additions.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Double-clicking on the field name while having the picture frame selected does nothing.

It works on MacOSX. I tried .csv and .xlsx files and it works as expected.

EDIT: Make sure that you have a complete path to the resource. I don't think relative paths work (haven't tried it yet).

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

13 minutes ago, Seneca said:

It works on MacOSX. I tried .csv and .xlsx files and it works as expected.

EDIT: Make sure that you have a complete path to the resource. I don't think relative paths work (haven't tried it yet).

Thank you for confirming. We both are on Windows, that may make the difference.

I do have complete paths in a .csv file. How do you assign the field to a picture frame? Activate the frame and then double click in the Fields Panel? This seems to be the logical way to do it.

Thanks, d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

1 minute ago, Seneca said:

Yes.

Then I consider this as a bug in the windows version. I assume one of the moderators will pick this up sooner or later 🙂

d.

Does not work for me. :( At least I would expect, that the picture frame is highlighted as a field.

9 minutes ago, dominik said:

I assume one of the moderators will pick this up sooner or later 🙂

Sooner I hope. I could use Data Merge right now, not using LibreOffice and some ancient addons would be wonderful. The workflow in APu is pretty straight forward, which is really cool.

PS 1: Resetting APu makes no difference.

PS 2: Was this not tested on Windows?

Edited by Joachim_L
Added information

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 minutes ago, Seneca said:

Just a short movie to show how it works on a Mac.

Thanks a lot for the effort. This is basically as I thought it should work. But double clicking on the image path field doesn't do anything on Windows. It seems to be a Windows only bug.

d.

Hi 

I am having the same issue...I can get a data field to work but not an image. I have tried:
CSV file and edited the path a few times(using @ or '@ in field header or '@image'), removing spaces, quotes and double quotes etc 
Adding an image to frame in first instance
Changing background colour/frame
Changed the route path to an easier location
Also removed any spaces in path location

....but still cannot seem to get it to function

The field Panel keeps closing! 

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

I also tried several ways of writing the file path but no success. What a pity. So I have to use LibreOffice for serial letters a bit longer. :(

BTW: If the Fields panel has a scroll bar and you scroll down to reach the latest field entry and double-click it, the field list jumps up a bit, so you have to double-click again.

------

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

So I have to use LibreOffice for serial letters a bit longer. :(

I think that is a good idea, anyway. The feature is too new to already use it in a real productive process.

d.

Just now, dominik said:

The feature is too new to already use it in a real productive process.

No risk, no fun. :D For exchanging text with image signatures I use an ancient (OO) plugin, always fearing that LO updates are breaking the plugin. The latest beta (.798) fixed the image problem btw.

------

22 hours ago, dominik said:

Thanks a lot for the effort. This is basically as I thought it should work. But double clicking on the image path field doesn't do anything on Windows. It seems to be a Windows only bug.

Images & data merge work fine for me in Windows (8.1) using todays 1.9.0.798 Publisher beta

Did not test it with yesterday's beta so do not know if it was a bug or something else

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

22 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

The latest beta (.798) fixed the image problem btw.

6 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Images & data merge work fine for me in Windows (8.1) using todays 1.9.0.798 Publisher beta

Thanks both for the confirmation. I just installed and checked and it seems to work now.

I see some things that I have to investigate, though. E.g. preview of field content for images does not work. This may be a user error.

d.

2 minutes ago, dominik said:

E.g. preview of field content for images does not work.

For me it works. Turning Preview off you see the field names, turning on you see the output.

------

2 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

For me it works. Turning Preview off you see the field names, turning on you see the output.

Thanks for the confirmation. User error! I was on the wrong data source :11_blush:

d.

• 10 months later...

Hello! I am struggling with this same thing. I am looking to add photos using the data merge layout tool. 

I have tried the absolute path /Users/owengotimer/Desktop/FreshmanFootball/7.jpg but I continue to get no output. The rest of the fields merge correctly, but the images are not merging at all.

I use a frame, select that then double click on the field which is the path to the image. No spaces before or after the path name in the CSV XLSX cells.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.