You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Struggling to get this images at a smaller file size

Maybe it's just not possible, but I feel like I'm missing something.

I have this image that's full color at 3000 px by 3000 px by 72 dpi. It's coming in at 9MB+ as a PNG.

I can't upload it here, because it's too large. https://ibb.co/Xsy8q3B

Another image that's 2000x2000 is much smaller at 80k. I don't anticipate I can get this one that small, but 512k?

Maybe it's not possible, but I just wanted to check.

I've attached the 2000x2000 logo.

rr2000.png

Your full colour image would have 216 megabits, or 27 megabytes of information. Your png file has 10 mb, that is about one third size compression  A fairly detailed image such as yours would no lend itself to great compression.

Your second image has much less detail and could be compressed much more (12mb vs 80kb).

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

At full res (3000x3000 pixels) and 50% JPEG export compression in AP the resulting file size is 436kB.  The image looks pretty much identical to the original when opened side-by-side.  You could also try running the original through some noise reduction or median filtering to smooth larger areas of tone so that the compression algorithm is not trying to preserve the small variations in these large uniform areas because of noise.  If you apply the Dust and Scratches filter at a radius of about 3-4px and compress with JPEG at 50%, the resulting file size is 276kB.

Kirk